[SOLVED] PC won't POST with new RAM but will work if I place the RAM in while PC is already running

Oct 12, 2020
Hello

I recently decided to upgrade my RAM. I have bought this:

https://assets.website-files.com/5c..._PVB416G320C6K Sku Sheet_ Copyable 070119.pdf

The first time I tried to boot using both of the new RAM sticks, the machine didn't POST. One of them (stick #1) worked in every slot, the other (stick #2) didn't work in any of them. So I searched for a solution online, and after cleaning the contacts on stick #2 the PC started working normally.

After this I tested both RAM sticks with memtest86 for 12 hours and it showed no errors. I thought that was it, everything worked flawlessly, but then I had to leave my house for a few days.

After arriving home, I tried booting up my system and the problem from before occurred. Fans turned on, but my keyboard, mouse and monitor did not. Then I tried the above method once more but this time it didn't work. After desperately trying to find a solution, I decided to use the working stick #1 to boot up, then placed stick #2 in the already running machine. After rebooting, everything worked as it should. I decided to turn my system off for a few minutes, and turning it back on again. There were no issues.

However, if I turn my PC off for about an hour, then try to boot up again, the issue happens again, and I have to do the procedure of removing stick #2 and replacing it after the system's up for it to POST.

Another weird thing is that when I try to place my old 8GB stick into the board by itself, it wouldn't POST either... sometimes. It seems the board decides randomly whether it will POST with my old RAM or if it won't. Stick #1 alone always seems to work, and sometimes mixing the old RAM and stick #1 works too. I have had success with booting from stick #2 alone as well.

At first I thought stick #2 was faulty, but at this point I'm just confused and starting to think it is my board that is not cooperating. Still, I don't understand how stick #1 always seems to work.

Can anyone help me identify the problem or even solve it?

Methods I have tried:

Tried all sticks in all slots
Resetting the BIOS
Using XMP
Turning off XMP
Manually setting the timings and voltage
Upping the voltage by 0.04
Cleaning the contacts of the RAM

My specs:

PSU: Cooler Master MWE 500

Motherboard: ASUS H110M-R

CPU: Intel i5 6500

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 3GB

New RAM: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout Series DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz

Old RAM: Kingston 8GB DDR4 Hyperx Fury (HX421C14FB/8) 2133MHz

Solution
I'd say, almost 100%, that you have a failing motherboard. There is however a small chance that it's power supply related, and that MWE isn't a very good unit.

I'd try this. Power off. Take the graphics card OUT. Connect your display to the video output from the motherboard, which uses the integrated CPU graphics. Install your memory. Power back up. If it works every time like that, then it's likely that the power supply is weak or faulty and can't support the memory AND the discreet graphics card at the same time. If it doesn't help at all, then it's likely that you have a motherboard failure.

For what it's worth too, that new memory kit is completely incompatible with that motherboard, and should be returned, unless you are planning...
This is a good way to completely destroy your RAM, motherboard and CPU, no question, and no joke. Stop doing that. You don't connect ANYTHING to your motherboard, or anything else, while the system is running, EXCEPT FOR hard drives that are hot swappable and connected to a hot swap drive bay and I don't even like doing that or think that it is necessary. External USB devices excluded of course.

Reactions: ex_bubblehead
I'd say, almost 100%, that you have a failing motherboard. There is however a small chance that it's power supply related, and that MWE isn't a very good unit.

I'd try this. Power off. Take the graphics card OUT. Connect your display to the video output from the motherboard, which uses the integrated CPU graphics. Install your memory. Power back up. If it works every time like that, then it's likely that the power supply is weak or faulty and can't support the memory AND the discreet graphics card at the same time. If it doesn't help at all, then it's likely that you have a motherboard failure.

For what it's worth too, that new memory kit is completely incompatible with that motherboard, and should be returned, unless you are planning to upgrade the system to a newer platform that DOES support it.

Solution

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Things which it is dangerous/not advisable to 'put things into' while operational:

Parts into Computers
Hands into Blenders
Hands into fire
Hands around lawnmowers
Hands near operational engines
People around bomb testing ranges
Poison into people

Oct 12, 2020

For what it's worth too, that new memory kit is completely incompatible with that motherboard, and should be returned, unless you are planning to upgrade the system to a newer platform that DOES support it.

I am, indeed planning on upgrading the machine slowly, piece by piece to this:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wG6gDx

If available, I will purchase an RTX 3070 instead of the 2070, but if the prices drop significantly I might stick with a 2070.
What do you think about this build?

The first thing you need to do is find some kind of validation that that memory kit is even going to be compatible with whatever motherboard you decide upon. Just because the board supports DDR4 up to a certain speed, that your kit falls within, does not, by any stretch, mean that is compatible. Systems these days, especially Ryzen systems, are VERY finicky when it comes to what memory kit models are supported. Two different kits from the same manufacturer might have wildly different results when used on the same board despite them having identical or very similar specifications. Validation is the key.

If you can't find validation through the manufacturer for a specific board and memory module, like you can using the Corsair memory finder or G.Skill memory configurator, then try the motherboard QVL list OR try to find validation across the various forums that somebody has had proven success using that kit on that motherboard at the XMP profile configuration.