Question Pc wont POST without usb drive plugged in

• Thread starter Deleted member 2944084
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2944084

I cant find my problem on any other forms or sites, so i will drop it here.

My pc refuses to POST without a usb plugged into the back, it doesnt matter what kind of usb but it has to be a usb drive for storage. if i dont have a usb drive plugged in my monitors dont display anything.

In my pc theres a sata m2 ssd, a 3.5 inch hdd, a i7-9700 and a rtx 2060 super.
Motherboard is Gigabyte H310M A (rev1.0)
Please help, Ive been trying to figure this out for days.

D

Deleted member 2944084

Does the USB device have to be in one particular port? If so, visually inspect that port to ensure nothing is protruding into it, like the little grounding fingers found on some I/O panels.
Nope, i can put it in any slot.

D

Deleted member 2944084

Is this a recent development? Was your system working properly before something changed?
Ive bought this motherboard a few days ago, and it was already used. It has this problem since i bought it. I already reseated ram cpu and all cables.

D

Deleted member 2944084

Have you tried removing your components from inside the case/chassis and running on a non-conductive surface? This might be a grounding issue that gets temporarily resolved when a USB device is plugged into the rear panel ports.
I could try but it starts up multiple times with a usb, not just once.

D

Deleted member 2944084

Have you tried removing your components from inside the case/chassis and running on a non-conductive surface? This might be a grounding issue that gets temporarily resolved when a USB device is plugged into the rear panel ports.
i did this, same behaviour. wont boot but when usb plugged in it does. also i found out that if i keep the pc on in the "non-post" state for an hour or sum, then i restart it it does boot without usb. its weird.

D

Deleted member 2944084

i also figured out that if i have no ssd plugged in i can post without usb.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Please list all installed storage devices in this system.

When you assembled this system, did you perform a full, clean installation of Windows with only the target storage device installed? Or, did you have multiple storage devices installed? Or, did you "recycle" a previous install of Windows from a different hardware configuration?

D

Deleted member 2944084

When you assembled this system, did you perform a full, clean installation of Windows with only the target storage device installed? Or, did you have multiple storage devices installed? Or, did you "recycle" a previous install of Windows from a different hardware configuration?
Full reinstall with a windows bootable usb, also i just found out that if i remove my m.2 sata ssd pc posts every time. Idk if the drive is broken or theres something wrong with mb m.2 slot.

D

Deleted member 2944084

Just a minute ago i plugged in a nvme ssd from my laptop, first time no post second time post. turning it off first time no post second time post. Its weird. I think its the m.2 slot or something with bios.

D

Deleted member 2944084

I just recieved a new motherboard, its not the usb and its not the motherboard. This motherboard had the exact same issue? H310m A (rev1.0).

I need to turn it on, wait a few minutes and then turn it off and back on. Then i can do anything. Its like a cold engine.