Question PC won't post, wondering if motherboard is dead

Nov 24, 2020
Hi,
I started building my pc today and it won't post. GPU and CPU fans starts up but, there is not screen. The peripherals (keyboard and mouse) won't light up either so, I think thinking it isn't posting.
Things I have tried:
  • Single ram instead of 2 in each slot
  • Resetting CMOS
  • Changing PSU

The system specs are:
Ryzen 5 3600
Hyperx fury 3200mhz (2*8gb)
Corsair MX650 PSU
Asus TUF B450 motherboard
GTX 780
Samsung evo 970 m.2 ssd
All the components are brand new except the graphics card which is tested working. I don't see any error LEDs or hear a beep. The CPU pins are intact and installed properly. The 8-pin ATX connector near CPU is also connected.

Any help would be appericiated.

Last edited:

RRichards

Reputable
Jul 2, 2017
So the motherboard and lighting is turning on but no video and no post? Seems like you might have a dead gpu. See if there's another system you can put it in or if you can get a hold of a cpu with an IGPU throw it in and see if you can get video out.

Nov 24, 2020
So the motherboard and lighting is turning on but no video and no post? Seems like you might have a dead gpu. See if there's another system you can put it in or if you can get a hold of a cpu with an IGPU throw it in and see if you can get video out.
I know that video card is working and shouldn't the motherboard POST without a gpu? I get that I can't get a output but POST should be possible. Unfortuanately, for me testing with another system is impossible, the only way is to go out and buy new parts which is why I am trying to narrow down the problem.

Nov 24, 2020
Since you've got a b450 motherboard it may require you to update the bios unless it said Ryzen 3000 ready. But, in order to update it, you need any previous-gen CPU to the Ryzen 3000 series. I think the other reason is that peripherals that aren't lighting up are due to the PC not posting.

Nov 24, 2020
Since you've got a b450 motherboard it may require you to update the bios unless it said Ryzen 3000 ready. But, in order to update it, you need any previous-gen CPU to the Ryzen 3000 series. I think the other reason is that peripherals that aren't lighting up are due to the PC not posting.
I did pick up motherboard which says Ryzen 3000 ready. I am worried about PC not posting without GPU. In theory it should atleast POST without any GPU and not show any output.