[SOLVED] PC won't post

WebowJo

Distinguished
May 21, 2013
My recently purchased x570 and Ryzen 3700x arrived, and the first time i turned it on, it posted, got to loading windows: crashed. after that, the pc would no longer post at all.

all parts were tested individually and verified as in good condition, except the mb/cpu, which nor i nor the lab i consulted with have to swap with mine. so i'll give you heavyweight technicians as much details as i can, i do not except a 100% solution, as that would require a 2nd working mb or cpu, but a reply with what you believe more likely given those details. which are:

the cpu fan, the rgb wraith from AMD, spins erratically, as well as the LEDs blinks a little bit randomly, one time it posted all the way to windows loading screen, that was the last time this PC POSTed.

The motherboard has a few LEDs to indicate HW errors, first one to light was "boot", when i take out all the ram it showed cpu, and now it shows cpu even with ram, but given the inconsistency i'm not sure if i can trust this indicatior at all... I need to choose which do I RMA first for replacement, if I was a USA resident that wouldve been no problem but im not, and i have to ship them from europe back to the UDS to get replacement.

I appreciate any support :)

thanks

Solution
Firstly I would check the CPU / Socket for bent pins or contamination.
I would then try and see if anything changes when you breadboard the system outside of the case to eliminate any other parts or any shorting on the case.

Following that, MB failures are much more common than CPU failures, so I'd always RMA the MB first if you're stating that all other parts have been tested as functional.

How did they test the other parts?
Also what exactly is your full system spec including PSU make and model?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Firstly I would check the CPU / Socket for bent pins or contamination.
I would then try and see if anything changes when you breadboard the system outside of the case to eliminate any other parts or any shorting on the case.

Following that, MB failures are much more common than CPU failures, so I'd always RMA the MB first if you're stating that all other parts have been tested as functional.

How did they test the other parts?
Also what exactly is your full system spec including PSU make and model?

Solution

WebowJo

Distinguished
May 21, 2013
so in the same case a different (my older pc) works fine, therefor i ruled the case as the problem, but your suggestion is excellent! i'll check cpu, how do I clean the motherboard socket? compressed air? electric contact spray (the one that dries instantly)? maybe it is just some contamination issue..

its really late here so tomorrow i will post rest of details, basically i tested all the other components in different variation with other parts, and then just to make sure I paid 50$ to a pc lab to test them too, and we both reached this conclusion: its either the mb or procccessor, i dont have the means to check which..

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I would just visually check both. If you can't see anything obvious (pins can be difficult to spot but a common cause of issues), then I would RMA board.

Unfortunately as you stated, there is no guaranteed way of testing without swapping, and MB failures and DOA are much more common than CPU failures.