Hyperi0nZ

Reputable
May 16, 2017
Upgraded a rig with a Ryzen 5 3600 to a new rig with these specs (only cpu changed)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 3080
RAM: 2x 16GB KLEVV RGB 3600MHz
Memory: 256GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Crucial SSD
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X570E GAMING

Swapped out the CPU, tried to start it up and got an 02 error code, ended up trying to flash an updated bios with a USB (FAT32 formatted, updated bios etc), pc stopped going to POST after this and instead gave orange DRAM light.
prior to this my pc was working perfectly, no ram issues no crashes or anything.

I've tried resetting cmos by taking out the battery, and shorting using the two cmos reset pins on my motherboard. Neither changed anything
I've swapped out my CPU for the old one and it still has the orange DRAM light.
I fully changed my PSU and that changed nothing either.
It feels like it has to be a RAM issue but that doesn't make sense since it was working fine this morning...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Reseat ram?

Reseat ram, just use one stick in 2nd slot (a2) from cpu. Assuming 3600 is still installed. If you get a display after ram reseat, check bios revision to make sure flash worked. Reflash if not.

Install 5800x, remove ram, clear cmos shorting pins (with cmos battery still in place), install ram in a2 b2 slots. Plug power cable and try boot. Go to bios and load defaults.

Reactions: RodroX

Hyperi0nZ

Reputable
May 16, 2017
do i have to remove the ram when I clear cmos? I haven't been doing that
I've luckily managed to get my ram replaced anyway, new sticks are coming within 2 days
if it doesn't matter if ram is in or not, I've tried all the cmos resetting possible on both cpus
I've also tried reseating the ram in each slot, singularly and with both

Reseat ram?

Reseat ram, just use one stick in 2nd slot (a2) from cpu. Assuming 3600 is still installed. If you get a display after ram reseat, check bios revision to make sure flash worked. Reflash if not.

Install 5800x, remove ram, clear cmos shorting pins (with cmos battery still in place), install ram in a2 b2 slots. Plug power cable and try boot. Go to bios and load defaults.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Oh Woops sorry that post was meant for another thread/topic i thought you were the OP of lol.

What video cable are you using? If using DP, can you try Hdmi? Since clearing cmos, Hdmi may have switched to default port to display on the gpu. I've seen that happen before where DP would work as normal after booting to Windows, meaning bios as well.

Hyperi0nZ

Reputable
May 16, 2017
Oh Woops sorry that post was meant for another thread/topic i thought you were the OP of lol.

What video cable are you using? If using DP, can you try Hdmi? Since clearing cmos, Hdmi may have switched to default port to display on the gpu. I've seen that happen before where DP would work as normal after booting to Windows, meaning bios as well.
I was using DP, just tested with HDMI but its the same ;-;

boju

Titan
Ambassador
No it won't, sorry forgot you mentioned that. I don't know what else to suggest. Damaging ram is only possible if worked on it while system still had power which i don't think you did that. Bent cpu pin/s associated with dimm slots or an over tensioned cooler might be responsible for dram light. Guess we'll see when new ram arrive.

Hyperi0nZ

Reputable
May 16, 2017
No it won't, sorry forgot you mentioned that. I don't know what else to suggest. Damaging ram is only possible if worked on it while system still had power which i don't think you did that. Bent cpu pin/s associated with dimm slots or an over tensioned cooler might be responsible for dram light. Guess we'll see when new ram arrive.
I do have a new cpu cooler and it might be too tight so I'll loosen it a little - I checked the cpus and none of the pins are bent on either of them.
Thank you for your help - I'll update when the new ram is here

Reactions: boju