Question PC wont power off after black screen

Dec 26, 2021
This started about 3 days ago. My computer will randomly either, go black screen with everything inside still lit up, but mouse and keyboard lights are off, and if I hold down the power button its unresponsive. Or it will just restart, most of the time its the former. Also when my computer restarts now it says something along the lines of, "To skip disc checking process, press any key". Idk if thats related or not.

Ive updated the bios, I was running a memtest but it happened during that so it never finished but it was looking good. This never happened while gaming, I dont believe its a temp problem,

Motherboard, CPU, RAM, heatsink all less than 3 months old, GPU is about 2 years, PSU is probably about 5-6 years now.

Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800 x

Mobo: Gigabyte b550 Aorus Pro AC

RAM: Gskill ripjaw 2x16 32gb ddr 4 3600 mhz

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2 TB - Kingston sv300 100gb(not using really)

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650 gs 650w

GPU: MSI 2070 Super

Thanks, if you need any more info let me know.

Ralston18

Titan
This: "PSU is probably about 5-6 years now. " Likely suspect.

PSU - history of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even mining?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Are there any error codes, warnings, or informational events being captured just before or at the time of the black screens and other occurring problems?

Varying errors and increasing numbers of errors are a sign of a failing PSU.

As an interim measure:

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Also install a fresh CMOS battery.

If you are not comfortable opening the case etc. then find a knowledgeable family member or friend to help.

Dec 26, 2021
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Are there any error codes, warnings, or informational events being captured just before or at the time of the black screens and other occurring problems?

As an interim measure:

Also install a fresh CMOS battery.

Ok, what I see in Reliability History is windows was not shut down properly. In event viewer, if im honest Im not quite sure how to read this. Critical errors, theres event ID 41 Kernel Power. Is that what you mean?

As for new CMOS battery, the motherboard is quite new, you really think that could be it ? Thank you!

Ralston18

Titan
"Not properly shut down" is a sign of failing/faltering PSU.

And Event Viewer is not at all as user friendly as Reliability History. In either one you can click on any given entry for more details but the details may or may not be helpful.

New motherboard: Probably not the CMOS battery but I tend to be a bit skeptical about the source and quality of any batteries that come with any product. Most are cheap in both price and quality. I tend to swap them out - sometimes immediately.

On the other hand, it could be a problem connection or seating with respect to the new motherboard. No one wants to force a connection on a new build or motherboard. So what feels tight may not truly be so.

Worth carefully unplugging and re-plugging the connectors a few times just to be sure that all connections etc. are indeed fully and firmly in place. Likewise for cards and RAM.

If the problems continue then the PSU remains a likely suspect.

Keep an eye on the reported errors.

Dec 26, 2021
"Not properly shut down" is a sign of failing/faltering PSU.

And Event Viewer is not at all as user friendly as Reliability History. In either one you can click on any given entry for more details but the details may or may not be helpful.

New motherboard: Probably not the CMOS battery but I tend to be a bit skeptical about the source and quality of any batteries that come with any product. Most are cheap in both price and quality. I tend to swap them out - sometimes immediately.

On the other hand, it could be a problem connection or seating with respect to the new motherboard. No one wants to force a connection on a new build or motherboard. So what feels tight may not truly be so.

Worth carefully unplugging and re-plugging the connectors a few times just to be sure that all connections etc. are indeed fully and firmly in place. Likewise for cards and RAM.

If the problems continue then the PSU remains a likely suspect.

Keep an eye on the reported errors.

Yeah thats the only description it gives me in Reliability History, "The previous system shutdown at 7:36:29 AM on ‎3/‎12/‎2022 was unexpected." Im honestly just not too sure what im looking for, but when it happens again ill just go there and try to match the time with it.

It would seem weird to me that something would come lose after being put together for a while? I will make sure everything is seated though, and grab a new battery, but I think either way I'm due for a new PSU and its most likely the problem.

Thank you.

Mar 13, 2022
This started about 3 days ago. My computer will randomly either, go black screen with everything inside still lit up, but mouse and keyboard lights are off, and if I hold down the power button its unresponsive. Or it will just restart, most of the time its the former. Also when my computer restarts now it says something along the lines of, "To skip disc checking process, press any key". Idk if thats related or not.

Ive updated the bios, I was running a memtest but it happened during that so it never finished but it was looking good. This never happened while gaming, I dont believe its a temp problem,

Motherboard, CPU, RAM, heatsink all less than 3 months old, GPU is about 2 years, PSU is probably about 5-6 years now.

Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800 x

Mobo: Gigabyte b550 Aorus Pro AC

RAM: Gskill ripjaw 2x16 32gb ddr 4 3600 mhz

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2 TB - Kingston sv300 100gb(not using really)

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650 gs 650w

GPU: MSI 2070 Super

Thanks, if you need any more info let me know.

Hello there, disk checking is normal to occur after unsafe shutdown
can you use program that will show power usage of the PC component (such as AIDA64) to check power consumption of each component to check if your PSU can deliver required power for those component

Anything else recorded on event viewer except "The previous system shutdown at 7:36:29 AM on ‎3/‎12/‎2022 was unexpected." ? such as warning with exclamation mark ?

Dec 26, 2021
Hello there, disk checking is normal to occur after unsafe shutdown
can you use program that will show power usage of the PC component (such as AIDA64) to check power consumption of each component to check if your PSU can deliver required power for those component

Anything else recorded on event viewer except "The previous system shutdown at 7:36:29 AM on ‎3/‎12/‎2022 was unexpected." ? such as warning with exclamation mark ?

The thing is, that happens everytime I start the computer now, not just when it crashes.

View: https://imgur.com/a/2CaF2jZ
- is this what youre looking for as far as power?