Question PC Won't Power On After Changing Component

NathW90

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2016
So I've just change the WiFi module (M.2 WiFi card) in my MSI Gaming Edge X570 WiFi motherboard, and now the PC will not power on at all.

To do it I had to disconnect everything (bar the CPU/Cooler) and take out the motherboard completely.

As far as I can see I've hooked it all up back as it should be. Does anyone know what might have gone wrong? Panicking a bit!

Cheers.

NathW90

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2016
did you get one that was supported?

Yep. Can't see any logical reason why they would be incompatible? It's an Intel AX210 in a MSI Gaming Edge WiFi.

Even if it slotted fine but wasn't compatible surely it wouldn't completely stop the PC from booting?

I've probably somehow static shocked the system and killed it.

Apr 21, 2022
The benefit of taking it out is to inspect the motherboard, make sure nothing is damaged, then powering it on to see if anything jumps out at you, (you'll want to where gloves while you do this, to protect the board and yourself..) You should preferably leave everything connected first, then start carefully removing components until it turns on. I would start with the wifi card, obviously, and go from there

NathW90

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2016
The benefit of taking it out is to inspect the motherboard, make sure nothing is damaged, then powering it on to see if anything jumps out at you, (you'll want to where gloves while you do this, to protect the board and yourself..) You should preferably leave everything connected first, then start carefully removing components until it turns on. I would start with the wifi card, obviously, and go from there

I didn't wear gloves when I took the whole thing apart before to put the new WiFi module in. I'm starting to think I've killed the board by not taking the proper precautions. 😔

Apr 21, 2022
Even if they weren't cleaned, as long as you didn't directly touch the volatile areas of your components (assuming your hands weren't covered in water or completely greasy) like the pads on your cpu or the pins of your gpu, you should be fine.

Apr 21, 2022
There is a chance, but it is not likely you permanently damaged your computer. You should try taking everything apart, and spray-washing everything with 99% Isopropyl alcohol, and then wiping everything off with a lintless rag a few times. If this does not work, then you may have very well damaged your computer.

NathW90

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2016
Even if they weren't cleaned, as long as you didn't directly touch the volatile areas of your components (assuming your hands weren't covered in water or completely greasy) like the pads on your cpu or the pins of your gpu, you should be fine.

Yeah I certainly didn't have wet or greasy hands, and I was careful not to just gung ho put my hands all over things I didn't need to. I didn't even take the CPU/cooler out.

Apr 21, 2022
I would recommend just washing all your components in 99% isopropyl alcohol. It won't hurt anything to do so.
Btw, if you cannot get 99%, I would recommend nothing below 91%, as this contains some water. If you are using 91%, just use it in moderation at increments.

Apr 21, 2022
I hope this helps. Unfortunately, I have to go. If you have any more questions, just post them here, and I will get back to you tomorrow. I hope this works, and that you have a good day!

NathW90

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2016
I hope this helps. Unfortunately, I have to go. If you have any more questions, just post them here, and I will get back to you tomorrow. I hope this works, and that you have a good day!

Thank you for your help.

One other thing I should maybe mention. I do get a click sound when I press the power button. This click comes from within the PC and has always happened whenever I used to power it on. Suppose that shows some sign of life, even if just the tiniest bit?