Question PC won't power on after turning off suddenly

MegaDarkKebab

Commendable
Oct 5, 2019
Hello,

First off, I don't know where exactly I should post this so I'll do in here, let me know if I'm wrong please.
Last Friday (4th oct) my computer suddenly switched off and my room smelled weird and since then my pc wont boot up anymore.
After googling it for a little bit with the help of a friend, I have tried testing my PSU with a multimeter and the readings look alright, but when I press the power button nothing happens what so ever at all, fans don't start and the lights don't go on so don't even think about a POST and RAM or GPU check.
I'm not sure if its the PSU or the mobo, but does anyone here maybe know what might be the problem?

DSzymborski

Titan
Smelling weird in that way tends to be a capacitor going. It's likely in the power supply, which is a very old Andyson-made PSU that wasn't particularly great when it's new; if it's on the motherboard you should be able to see a capacitor that went. You're likely due for a power supply refresh anyway and since I wouldn't sink money into replacing an AM3+ motherboard at his point, the power supply is the best place to start with a new, modern one.

MegaDarkKebab

Commendable
Oct 5, 2019
Thank you for your quick reply.
I have just ordered a new PSU (Corsair RM750x 80+ Gold) and it should come in within a few days.
I'll let you know the results after swapping it over.

MegaDarkKebab

Commendable
Oct 5, 2019
Alright, it got in today and I put the PSU in right as I got in from work.
However unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a difference..
After flipping the switch on the back side of the PSU to ON and trying to boot up my pc the lights inside flash on for under a second and then back off again and nothing happens what so ever at all.
So I'm assuming this will be a mobo case then?

MegaDarkKebab

Commendable
Oct 5, 2019

That one looks quite alright, will probably order it this evening!
One more question, I have a hardware bound OS, will changing the mobo cause any trouble?

edit:
Its been brought to my attention I should make sure my RAM is also compatible, I'm assuming since it takes DDR3 1600MHz it should be fine but I'm being told 'its not that easy' so could anyone confirm?

edit again:
After looking around and getting advice from someone else I came to PCpartpicker and found that my RAM is indeed compatible with this mobo, I have just ordered it and expect to receive it tomorrow.

Last edited:

MegaDarkKebab

Commendable
Oct 5, 2019
Mobo received and I was in the process of installing it into my casing to find out it doesn't fit.
The rear side of my case does not mach it the Mobo's port locations nor do the screwholes for mounting the Mobo to the case match.
My case is a Cooler Master XB EVO, do you have any sugestions of a Mobo that will fit this casing?

Edit:
Yes editing again, after taking a look at pcpartpicker I found that it should fit my case so I took a look again. Now it looks like the some of the screw holes do match but the backcover for the ports is in the way since that does not match so if I can take that out it should work, but I wont be able to use one row of screws to fasten it to the casing, is this a problem?

Last edited:

MegaDarkKebab

Commendable
Oct 5, 2019
Alright, my patience is running on fumes tonight...

Mobo is in and everything is connected for as far as I know and the pc does light up again.
However nothing what so ever at all is happening on my monitor. It stays in standby mode which it automatically exits once it receives a signal. The GPU fan does start up on initial boot but turns off after, I read that's probably because it only uses it when it has to.

I have tried everything I can think of, I have switched he cable I used from HDMI to DMI, I have moved about my RAM sticks since I found a post saying that's the cause, I have tried moving the GPU to another slot wondering if there was maybe a bad port which would have been bad but okay?

Trying a last thing, I took out 1 ram stick and after about half a minute it switched it self off...
Then I swapped it with the other, same thing happened.
Now with bot sticks in the first ports I tried (other ports had no different results) it switches off almost instantly...

Any suggestions because I'm close to just bringing it to a shop and be done with it....

MegaDarkKebab

Commendable
Oct 5, 2019
Sorry for the late reply, its taken some time to get my computer to a shop and back again.
They tested everything except for the CPU since they don't have this type in.
Everything they checked was working fine so I do assume its the CPU then.
They didn't want to order a new CPU in 'in case it still doesn't work' and suggested I buy a new PC instead.
So since I will have to replace the CPU I'm considering to upgrade it to a different one completely, including MOBO (I should still be able to send that back and get my money back) and if I have to, RAM.
So do you have any suggestions for a reasonably good price for a good CPU and MOBO that will still work with my casing and GPU?
And also, let me know if I should post this in a new thread in another section.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
what kind of budget ? because the case will fit almost any board id think, and not sure what GPU you have (I scrolled back and couldn't see where you said_) but that most likely would work in any new board as well as they are all backwards compatible so even if its PCIe 2.0 it will still work on a 3.0 board Ryzen seem to be good CPUS and not too pricy, a 8 core 16 thread Ryzen 2700 is just over $200CND and Im sure youd be able to find a decent AM4 board for well under $200CND

I just built my new system with a Ryzen 7 2700 CPU on a GIGABYTE B450 AORUS PRO WIFI motherboard with 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz Ram for just shy of $530$ CND

MegaDarkKebab

Commendable
Oct 5, 2019
Sorry for that, my GPU should be in my sig but its a EVGA Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5, which is under 2 years old so I'm not replacing this yet.
As for the budget, I'm not too familiar with hardware and their prices so that's a tough call.
The Mobo I just got last week was about €70 but I'm not sure if that is because its an older one or anything.

https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/product...g-atx-am4-motherboard-x470-aorus-ultra-gaming
This one looks good, and price looks alright enough.
So if you can advise me if that would be a good choice and what I could get along side it, that would be appreciated.
My 16 GB of RAM hasn't disappointed yet so far so I don't think I would really need more than that for now, I can always upgrade if I have to.
And for CPU I really don't know what I would have to look for so any advice is welcome.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
well I guess you have a couple questions youll need to ask yourself, 1 being main use of computer , such as gaming, or just basic use like internet , streaming etc.. the motherboard you linked would hold any Ryzen CPU, I just bought one very similar, its the Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro wifi and I bought the Ryzen 2700, mainly because I dont do much on my PC, and that will have a extreme amount of power for what I do, do , being a 8 core 16 thread CPU. I think my choice however was a great one for someone like myself who isn't into over clocking, and isn't a hardcore gamer who wants to play all the top new games. keep in mind however I do believe the new board would require DDR4 RAM and Ryzen like fast RAM so 3200Mhz is often recommended, however you can often find 16Gb (2x8gb) modules for under 100$

* my new PC , Motherboard was 160$
Ryzen 7 2700 CPU was 219$
32Gb (4x8Gb ) 3200Mhz RAM was 180$

All Canadian funds, so mot sure what cost would be where your located.

MegaDarkKebab

Commendable
Oct 5, 2019
Main purpose would be gaming I suppose, not that I play the newest games day one or anything.
I also do streaming, both pc games and console games so that would also be a requirement.
I don't particularly care for WIFI on my pc since I feel wired is more stable (referring to your WIFI board). I didn't have a lot of trouble running most games I played with my pc so far except for a few that are known to give problems to most builds so I don't think I will worry too much about that. And I also don't overclock.

After looking around a little bit on pcpartpicker, I found the following;
Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING €138
AMD Ryzen 7 2700 €175
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 - 16 GB: 2 x 8 GB - DIMM 288-PIN - 3200 MHz €85

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
im sure that system would work well for most games, although I'm not a big gamer myself, and Im sure a hardcore gamer may suggest something more. like 3rd Gen Ryzen or a i9 CPU. personally though I think it would be a nice system for the money, Im very happy with mine and its very similar infact mine Ive had to even limit on the GPU FPS because i just use my TV as a display, and every game I play well exceeds double the FPS the TV can even handle. so Ive limited all Games to 70FPS

MegaDarkKebab

Commendable
Oct 5, 2019
Sorry for the late reply, I was trying to get the system to work. I received the new things about a week or so after my last post.
Since then I have been trying to get it to work as I want it to and I have finally managed, with the help of a windows10-to-go drive and messing around in Regedit (accurately), to boot up into my existing windows 7 drive without BSODing and I managed to set up an auto log in, again using Regedit.
I just have 1 problem left however, I cannot use my USB devices while logged onto win7.
They work fine in the BIOS, they work fine on the Win10-to-go drive, but when win7 boots up, nothing.
I have tried to install the drivers in several different ways found on the internet but nothing seems to work.
Do you have any suggestion of what I can do to fix this problem?

Latest posts