Question Pc won't power on at home but does power on at repair shop

Feb 20, 2021
I bought some sleeved cable extensions for my psu to make my build look a little nicer. I put them in and brought my tower back to my room and plugged everything back in but it wouldn't boot up. I assumed I fried something and sent it in to my local computer repair shop. They fiddled with my cables and it turned on perfectly for them and I had it back home within an hour. Again I plugged everything back and again, no power. I called them next day since they had already closed and told them it wasn't turning on again. They asked me to come back in and I did. I watched them this time and when they plugged everything in, it booted up with no issue at all. I brought it back home and still nothing. I've tried a different psu and a battery backup and I'm still stumped. There is a led light that turns on, on my gpu when I flip the switch on the back of my psu but that's all I see that actually shows power.

Feb 20, 2021
There must be something different somewhere when it is in the shop. A you using the same screen, or did it boot with no screen attached?

Do you have any peripherals (monitors, hard drives, anything USB) connected that were not connected in the shop?

Remove everything except the keyboard, mouse, and screen. I am assuming the screen powers up, yes?

Feb 20, 2021
There must be something different somewhere when it is in the shop. A you using the same screen, or did it boot with no screen attached?

Do you have any peripherals (monitors, hard drives, anything USB) connected that were not connected in the shop?

Remove everything except the keyboard, mouse, and screen. I am assuming the screen powers up, yes?
It was a different screen but it doesn't even boot with nothing connected to it. And yes the screen does work

Feb 20, 2021
Here comes stupid question no.2: the cable-tidy and the cord you are referring to - are theu inside the tower case? I assumed you were referring to the cord that goes from back-of-tower to mains, but upon re-reading it, you could be (probably are) talking about the cords from the PSU internally.

If so, the shop probably didn't connect every cord from PSU . Try just connecting the big ATX and the one next to it and the 12V one at the top of the motherboard and one to the graphics card if you need it.

No SATA or anything unnecessary.

Switch on.

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
I once decided to swap out a modular power supply (thermaltake) for another one (seasonic) and said to myself: Well this here PC is so well set up, all the cables zip tied in place, I'll just leave the modular cables in place and put in the new psu. Which I did. And I turned it on. And fried every single component in my build.

Ever since then I have lived by the maxim that the wires that come with the PSU are used with the PSU and those wires and only those wires go between PSU and the other system components. So I wouldn't go near extensions.

But obviously people do this. And it may work out for you....but, right now, it isn't, and maybe it's because the extensions are a bad idea. If you haven't fried the system you're ahead of the game.

My 2c,

GN

Reactions: Wendell-Gee
Feb 20, 2021
I once decided to swap out a modular power supply (thermaltake) for another one (seasonic) and said to myself: Well this here PC is so well set up, all the cables zip tied in place, I'll just leave the modular cables in place and put in the new psu. Which I did. And I turned it on. And fried every single component in my build.

Ever since then I have lived by the maxim that the wires that come with the PSU are used with the PSU and those wires and only those wires go between PSU and the other system components. So I wouldn't go near extensions.

But obviously people do this. And it may work out for you....but, right now, it isn't, and maybe it's because the extensions are a bad idea. If you haven't fried the system you're ahead of the game.

My 2c,

GN
But that's the thing, the extentions aren't in the case currently and it turns on at the repair shop. But still not at home

Feb 20, 2021
Here comes stupid question no.2: the cable-tidy and the cord you are referring to - are theu inside the tower case? I assumed you were referring to the cord that goes from back-of-tower to mains, but upon re-reading it, you could be (probably are) talking about the cords from the PSU internally.

If so, the shop probably didn't connect every cord from PSU . Try just connecting the big ATX and the one next to it and the 12V one at the top of the motherboard and one to the graphics card if you need it.

No SATA or anything unnecessary.

Switch on.
Sorry, yes I'm talking about the ones in the case. Had an odd thing happen yesterday though, I was fiddling with the power/reset button cables that connect to the motherboard and I had it actually turn on. Sadly had it in my basement so I turned it off and brought it to my room and then had nothing again. Thinking it might be the buttons on the case.

TRENDING THREADS