[SOLVED] PC wont power on at home, but works at the office?!

Jul 10, 2019
Hi guys

Hardware:
Ryzen5 1600
ASUS PRIME X370-A
16G G.Skill F4-3200C16D
650W Super Flower SF-650F14EG(BK) Leadex II
Samsung EVO 970 nvme
XFX RX580 8GB

Ive upgraded my PC end of 2017 to Ryzen 1600 and it has been running without incident since.
However since last week I can not power my PC up. Nothing changed in terms of new hardware or components.

The mobo has power as the LEDs on the mobo lights up, but when I press the power button nothing happens (no fans spinning, PSU dont start up etc.).

Things Ive tried:
-Unpower and unplug everything for 30mins+ and even replace the CMOS battery
-Use a different PSU (1600w I used for mining)
-Unplug the case's power switch from the mobo and used a screwdriver to start it on the pins directly.
- [EDIT] put a UPS between my power outlet and the PC PSU to try and 'clean' the power - however same failed results [EDIT]

Nothing worked. I then decided to take my entire case to work with me to ask the Techie there for some help. My PC booted normally on the first try, nothing inside was touched or changed...
I thought maybe the fact that the pc was unpowered and unplugged from the night before might have something to do with the fact that it worked... Anyway, I take the pc back home to test again. However, once at home with nothing changing, I still can not power up - same as before.

Now i dissemble everything and I only have my mobo and cpu and the PSU connected (again tested with both the 650w and the 1600w - no RAM, no disks etc) sitting on a piece of cardboard - not even in my case.
It still wont power up - however as before the leds on the mobo is on.

The next morning I take the mobo, cpu , psu , my power cord and the screwdriver I tried to the start the system with to the office again. The first time I try it with the Techie, it powers up perfectly. We add some RAM and it POSTs and decide to update the BIOS while can. Everything works 100%.

We think it might be problem with the power socket at my house. So after working I test the same mobo, cpu and psu combo that worked 2 hours earlier, on a different power socket in the house (bedroom).
First time I try it works!
Great!
I take it back to the original power socket (pc room) and it fails as before. Even when I took it back to the bedroom where it worked 10mins earlier, I cant power up again. For the rest of the night it does not work anywhere at my house.

So this is where I am now, for some reason my build wont work at my house, but does work when take it to the office.
Ive tried different PSUs, with each test phase I uplugged everything for at least 15mins to be sure it discharged properly and still nothing.

So here I am asking you for some guidance and advise. Please help!

Last edited:
Solution
I solved my problem by rebooting my house!
As a last desperate act I decided to switcho ff my house's main electrical feed at the distribution board for 30secs and power it back on.
Since then, my PC has been working without incident.

I can only guess that there was some electrical interference that was causing power through my outlet to the PC to be 'unstable' and the powercycle on the mains cleared that.
Jul 10, 2019
Does another lesser tech device work off that outlet? Pop a vacuum cleaner in there to see if that behaves better or worse. When you take it to the office, do you also take the mains power lead with you or use one that's already there?
Thanks for your response!
Yes, my monitors, desk lamp etc all work using that outlet. Ive also charged my laptop using the same outlet while I was battling with the PC.
One thing I left out on my original post, is that I even tried putting my UPS between my power outlet and the PC PSU with the same results.

Yes, on the second day when I took the barebones (mobo, cpu, psu) to the office I took the same power cord and screwdriver i was testing with and it worked.

Jul 10, 2019
I solved my problem by rebooting my house!
As a last desperate act I decided to switcho ff my house's main electrical feed at the distribution board for 30secs and power it back on.
Since then, my PC has been working without incident.

I can only guess that there was some electrical interference that was causing power through my outlet to the PC to be 'unstable' and the powercycle on the mains cleared that.

Solution