Question PC won't power on even after new PSU. Troubleshooted a bit.

pentupanger

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
Hello. I am having an issue with my computer and at first I thought it was my PSU, so I figured I would post in thew PSU forum and see if anyone can help me.

New PSU: Corsair RM850X
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D Premium

I came home to a computer with no power, so I troubleshooted as much as I could... I checked to make sure no surge protector was faulted, tested a different surge protector, and then tested by plugging my computer into a wall out. I also did a lamp test to make sure that the outlet was OK. Nothing worked, and I couldn't think of anything else I could test so I decided to go buy a new PSU. After getting home and installing the new PSU, the computer still wouldn't turn on. I went back through and double-checked the wire connection and still nothing. I did notice that the Red power button and the Green Reset button on my motherboard seem to turn on when the PSU switch is in the on position, so it looks like the motherboard is getting at least some power. Also, seeing those two buttons light up I knew when the motherboard had power. I also noticed that when I switched on the PSU, I would hear the PSU do a click noise a second later and the CPU fan would turn like a centimeter.

I then figured I would test my RAM sticks one at a time to rule bad RAM out, and each RAM stick produced the same result... no power to PC after each test... the red/green buttons on MB lit up, but no fans fun and nothing else happened. I read that a bad CMOS battery could cause a PC to not turn on, and then I read that a CMOS bettery might "recharge" if the PSU is left on for 5min before trying to turn on the PSU again... I thought both of the CMOS battery stories sounded fishy, but I tried to see if the battery would "recharge" and the computer still wouldn't turn on after me letting it set there with the PSU switch on. I did not have a new CMOS battery to test, so I moved on with my next test.

I started to think it might be a motherboard problem, and I still haven't ruled that out... so I decided to unplug each PSU cable going to the motherboard individually starting with the 8-pin EATX12V plug that plugs into the motherboard near where the CPU is located. There are two pictures of the location below. When I left that cable out and turned on the PSU and then hit my Power button on my case, the PSU fan came on, my case fans came on, and my graphics card's fan and lights came on. I don't have my HDDs plugged in right now and I didn't let the power stay on for too long anyway. So it "seems" like that is causing the motherboard/PSU issue, but I honestly don't know what the plug is for, or if it can stay unplugged (I've always had it plugged in for years). Could the overall issue still be a bad motherboard? Are there more tests I should do to narrow it down more?

Thank you for the help!

qCDYrUf.jpg
qs71XuB.jpg

pentupanger

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
Hi, It looks like a short in the CPU area. 8 pin cable still disconnected, try connecting the CPU fan to a case fan header. Then start the board and see if the CPU fan does spin. If it does, then it might be a CPU issue.

Hello, the picture of the motherboard above, that shows the cable unplugged and the CPU fan not spinning, was taken when there was no power to the PC. If I leave that one cable disconnected and give the PC power the CPU fan will spin. So if it is a CPU issue would that only be the actual CPU chip, or could it be something else in that same area.... and is there anything else I can check to make sure it is that before I buy a new CPU chip?

Thanks for your help.

Edit: If I took out my CPU chip and plugged that one cable in and it still didn't start it wouldn't be the CPU... right?

Last edited:
No problem. CPU, or motherboard, I'd say, assuming that the psu does provide the needed power to the CPU. You can try checking with a multimeter if 12V provided on the 8 pin cable, when board started. I'm not aware of an user level method to check if it's indeed a CPU issue, or only a CPU issue, other than swapping parts.

TRENDING THREADS