Question PC won't power on with gpu plugged in and it keeps tripping my circuit breaker?

Nov 18, 2020
2
0
10
0
Alright so I started having this problem with my pc around 3 days ago. I'll try to keep it short and simple..

My PC won't start up while I'm using my "main" gpu which is a gtx 970, Sometimes it also trips the breakers in my apartment (Breaker rating is 10A) and I also think that I can smell a slight burning smell when I try to power it on, not sure about that though. Now, this stuff only happens when I'm using my 970.

But here is the thing, it DOES start up without a gpu or with my old gtx 660 without any problems.

So my question is, what part of my computer is failing or is the wiring in my apartment faulty? I've tried multiple different power outlets in different rooms and the same thing keeps happening. Also keep in mind that I've used this setup for like 3 years now and I've had no problems like this before.

It would make sense for it to be my 970, because it is pretty old, but I don't think it would prevent my PC from powering on?
I have a new 3070 waiting next to me in but I'm too afraid to use it, until I know what's going on.

Specs: Gtx 970 / Gtx 660 + i7 6700k + Seasonic Prime Ultra 750w Gold + MSI z170 k3

Can someone please try to help me find the cause of this problem?
 

ragnarok0274

Great
Sep 12, 2020
172
9
95
3
Did you swap hardware recently?
If so, that is likely why.
If not, then your breaker may have degraded.
Totally not making stuff up.
If not (for real this time), then I have no idea.
 
Oct 29, 2020
10
0
10
0
Your PSU is probably at fault. It works fine with your older GPU which draws less power but acts up when required to supply more power with the GTX 970. Does the trip happen when you are not gaming?
 

Joseph_138

Reputable
Nov 22, 2016
115
17
4,585
0
You might need a higher amperage breaker. 10 amps is not a lot.
Try a 15 amp breaker.
Queue disagreement below.
NEVER upgrade just the breaker. The wiring may only be able to handle 10 amps, which is why it has a 10 amp breaker. This is how people end up burning their houses down. They overload the circuit, the wiring heats up and sets the wall on fire from inside. The whole circuit needs to be upgraded to handle 15 amps, not just the breaker.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS