Question PC won't power on

jack.h.tierney

Commendable
Apr 11, 2018
So I am building a PC for a friend. He bought a bunch of used parts and I am having an issue. Trying to determine if something is actually broken or if I am just dumb.
Motherboard: Q87m-e/csm (used)
8 gigs ddr3 ram at 1600mhz (used)
i5-4670k (used)
WD 500 gig SSD (new)
550 watt 80+ power supply (new)

So I plugged everything into power supply and got the error "chassis intruded fatal error"
I shut down and then powered back on and got into bios. Bios showed my ram and cpu and temps were fine.
booted to my windows 10 usb and installed windows. Everything seemed to be working fine.
Then I put everything into the case, and I got the "chassis intruded fatal error" message again. Tried to get into BIOS but this time I couldn't get passed the chassis intruded error.
So I checked the Mobo manual and it told me to use a jumper cap on the chassis intruder connector.
I didn't have a spare jumper cap so I took one off the motherboard that was on a pin connector labeled DIS_ME and put it on the chassis intruder connector.
Now the computer won't even power on. I tried using the power button on the case and using a screwdriver to short the power pins to turn it on. Nothing.
I Took the jumper cap back off and still no power.
So I looked it up more and it said the issue might be the battery is dead. Luckily I have a bunch of those batteries so I replaced it but still no power.

So now, I am not sure if I did something dumb that is preventing it from powering on. Or if maybe the motherboard is just broken. Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated.

So I am building a PC for a friend. He bought a bunch of used parts and I am having an issue. Trying to determine if something is actually broken or if I am just dumb.
Motherboard: Q87m-e/csm (used)
8 gigs ddr3 ram at 1600mhz (used)
i5-4670k (used)
WD 500 gig SSD (new)
550 watt 80+ power supply (new)

So I plugged everything into power supply and got the error "chassis intruded fatal error"
I shut down and then powered back on and got into bios. Bios showed my ram and cpu and temps were fine.
booted to my windows 10 usb and installed windows. Everything seemed to be working fine.
Then I put everything into the case, and I got the "chassis intruded fatal error" message again. Tried to get into BIOS but this time I couldn't get passed the chassis intruded error.
So I checked the Mobo manual and it told me to use a jumper cap on the chassis intruder connector.
I didn't have a spare jumper cap so I took one off the motherboard that was on a pin connector labeled DIS_ME and put it on the chassis intruder connector.
Now the computer won't even power on. I tried using the power button on the case and using a screwdriver to short the power pins to turn it on. Nothing.
I Took the jumper cap back off and still no power.
So I looked it up more and it said the issue might be the battery is dead. Luckily I have a bunch of those batteries so I replaced it but still no power.

So now, I am not sure if I did something dumb that is preventing it from powering on. Or if maybe the motherboard is just broken. Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Did you get a replacement for one you took off ?