PC wont power up

russellashley

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
My old PC wouldnt power up. I checked the PSU by shorting the green and black wires. The fan turned. I assumed the PSU was OK. Tried shorting the power switch on the MOBO with a screwdriver but no power. I ssumed that the MOBO was fried. I have bought a new MOBO and case and then rebuilt the PC with the hardware from the old machine into the new MOBO. Same issue- the new machine will not switch on. Ive tried all the the connections, they are good.
Could this be a PSU issue still? The new MOBO wont power on with a screwdriver across the power switch pins. Can the fan turn but the PSU still be faulty?
Thje only issue i had with the old build was a problem with the HDD where i had to F1 it at boot due to bad sector or something on the HDD. It booted fine after F1, just didnt have full capacity.
Bulid-

GA-970A-DS3P FX Gigabyte (MOBO) (NEW)
400W Power Man PSU
GTX650
Phenom II X4 CPU
KVR13N9S8/4 4GB RAM (new)

russellashley

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018

No they dont. Its as dead as a doornail. You can hear a high pitch noise coming from the PSU as if its recieving power but nothing is responding at all

russellashley

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018

Just done a breadboard set up. No beeps when i shorted the power pins with screwdriver. Im guessing its a faulty PSU then?

russellashley

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018

OK. Just ssems coincidental that the issue first occurred on a totally different motherboard. I thought it was a mobo issue that time so bought a new one but this is the same problem now as before. Ill get a new PSU on payday (thursday) and try that. Just seems odd that two mobos would have the same issues, one completely new?

Thanks for your guidance though- i will repost either way later in the week.

russellashley

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018

Sweet, New PSU installed and bingo! everything powers up now. Only issue is nothing coming through on monitor now. Im thinking its the RAM i bought isnt compatible so wont boot. Just bought some thats definately supported so fingers x'd

russellashley

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018

Thanks mate. New CPU installed - boots up. Just playing getting everything smooth now, drivers etc etc. Thanks a lot- you really helped me solve this.