PC won't reach Ubuntu Login screen - AMD Ryzen 5 , Gigabyte GA-A320M-HD2

Dec 9, 2015
below is my [strike]CPU[/strike] PC configuration which i assembled:

1. Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A320M-HD2
2. Processor : AMD Ryzen 5 2400g
3. RAM : DDR4 8GB 2400MHz
4. Hard Disk : Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM010 1TB
5. OS: Ubuntu 18.04

When i turn on the [strike]CPU[/strike] PC , it starts booting. It shows the pink screen and then it stops at some dark blue screen forever.

But when i press hard reboot and then go into recovery mode and hit on resume normal reboot it reaches login screen and i am able to use the PC normally.

I hate doing this physical reboot everytime. So, please help me with this.

seems it is similar to
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2390660

neverumindnow

Reputable
May 29, 2015
The fact that you can get far enough for the login to fail, and subsequently use the system fine with a full graphical environment, tells me that this is probably a DE/Xorg problem. I use a different distro, and always 'startx' manually so I'm not sure how you would, but try opting out of starting X and see if everything is working in console. Also check dmesg and your xorg log to see what the problem seems to be. This has nothing to do with your CPU, almost certainly.

You should also probably have an admin move this to the opensource forum where you are more likely to receive help. I'm assuming you have posted this to the Ubuntu forums first.

edit by helpstar: I moved it, thanks for the hint :)

Dec 9, 2015

Sorry for not responding to this thread.. i really didn't look at the bottom of the page. Now after updating the Kernel to 4.17 and MESA drivers to 3.1 Mesa 18.1.5 it is fine now. thanks again for the quick response. Really appreciate it.