PC won't recognize any phone

ultrapassado

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
I'm having this issue: my desktop don't recognize any of the phones I tried to connect to it via USB.

My phones are: A Nokia Lumia (windows Phone 8), a Moto X bought yesterday (Android 4.3) and a Samsung S III (Android 4.3). I'm running Windows 8.1 on a Intel Sandy Bidge and an Asus Motherboard.

All the other devices (mouse, keyboard, printer, iPod, external drive) works perfectly. It's true that the WIndows 8.1 camera app won't recognize my webcam, but it works perfectly on Skype.

The S3 and the Lumia used to work correctly. Now the phones charge and are displayed in Device Manager with an yellow exclamation. I tried changing the USB ports, uninstalling USB controllers, manually installing Samsung drivers, switching cables, using the manufacturer software, but still no results.

I have to say that I haven't tested the phones on another PC yet, but when I tried to connect to the car sound system there was no result either. May this be a PC hardware problem even if the other devices works normally? Hope someone could help me.

Sorry for my bad english!

Solution
I'm assuming your phones used to connect to your car's audio system. Since that's not working either, that's probably pointing to an issue with the phones themselves, not the PC (since a PC's hardware problem wouldn't affect the car).

The yellow triangle/! usually means either a) Windows considers the device disabled, or b) the driver isn't installed correctly. Since you've already tried reinstalling the manufacturer's drivers, & the other USB peripherals are working, you want to try removing the phones themselves from Device Manager, then reconnecting them. However, if that doesn't work, test them on another PC, because it looks like it's a problem with the phones.

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
I'm assuming your phones used to connect to your car's audio system. Since that's not working either, that's probably pointing to an issue with the phones themselves, not the PC (since a PC's hardware problem wouldn't affect the car).

The yellow triangle/! usually means either a) Windows considers the device disabled, or b) the driver isn't installed correctly. Since you've already tried reinstalling the manufacturer's drivers, & the other USB peripherals are working, you want to try removing the phones themselves from Device Manager, then reconnecting them. However, if that doesn't work, test them on another PC, because it looks like it's a problem with the phones.

Solution

ultrapassado

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
I tried that with no results and I tested the phones on the TV as well and it looks like I'll have to transfer files via WiFi. But I'm curious about what could have happened to damage these 3 devices.