[SOLVED] PC Won't Run With 2 RAM Sticks

Nov 1, 2018
So, I'll start off with my setup. Most of it is new.
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F. (New)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X. (New)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2400MHz 16GB DDR4. (New)
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 480.
PSU: Corsair CX 750M. (New)
SSD: Samsung EVO 970 250GB
1TB HD.

I'm not the smartest when it comes to building computers, I know a decent amount but this was the first time doing my own. But for some reason, my computer freezes up and crashes whenever I have a RAM stick in the 4th slot. It happened with a previous pair of RAM also, as I thought one stick was bad. Every component in my computer is always updated as well as the BIOS on my Mobo. What could be causing this issue?

Side note: My computer will also lag out and everything connected to a USB hub in the back gets disconnected and a few seconds later, everything reconnects.

Solution
When I run memtest I usually do overnight runs, and sometime I even do 72 hour burn-in test for new builds that I have no confidence in. And I've seen problems get caught after 40 hours running it. So unless you've done extensive testing, you can't rule out the memory. Doing memtest 1 stick at a time will not help you find the problem faster, in fact it may hide the problem making even harder to detect, because single channel operation changes the timing distorts your testing.

However from experience (of course very limited sample of size), having worked with 6 ryzen mobos, and 3 of six failed, from being DOA, random BSOD, hangs, etc. (some after 1 month, some after 5 monthts), and it didn't seem that brand (Asus, Asrock, MSI...

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
There is nothing wrong with running a RX480 with a 2700x. This is not a high end gaming build, the last thing you want to do is spend big money on a video card like a 1080ti or RTX2070 or better and get it gimped by the 2700x.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
As for the crashing with the 2nd stick of memory, you need to run memtest86 and really test and check the memory. I would put odds at 85% chance of that second stick being either bad or not properly matched to your first stick. It is best that dual channel memory, i.e. the pair of memory are identically spec-ed, preferably bought in pairs so that they were intended to match, i.e. they are from the same make, model, etc.

Nov 1, 2018

They're both paired sticks from the same pack and I've run memtest multiple times with both sticks being in, and one being in and one being out and vice versa. Looked at the reports and no issues were found in any of the tests. Could this be a timing issue?

Nov 1, 2018

Would it make a difference if I swapped slots with each stick?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
For dual channel proper slots are 2nd and 4th slot from cpu. Having them in 1st and 3rd might make them single channel (not sure on this)

With one ram in try update bios

Check too heatsink is not on too tight. Too tight can cause memory problems. Finger tight then half turn more with screw driver. If cant get to all screws with fingers then gently turn screw driver until it stops with little force then half turn with force.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
When I run memtest I usually do overnight runs, and sometime I even do 72 hour burn-in test for new builds that I have no confidence in. And I've seen problems get caught after 40 hours running it. So unless you've done extensive testing, you can't rule out the memory. Doing memtest 1 stick at a time will not help you find the problem faster, in fact it may hide the problem making even harder to detect, because single channel operation changes the timing distorts your testing.

However from experience (of course very limited sample of size), having worked with 6 ryzen mobos, and 3 of six failed, from being DOA, random BSOD, hangs, etc. (some after 1 month, some after 5 monthts), and it didn't seem that brand (Asus, Asrock, MSI, Gigabyte, etc.) mattered, so it is like a 50% fail rate. I would suspect your motherboard even more.

Solution