Question PC won't shut down, audio stops working afterwards?

Apr 29, 2021
Obligatory: first time poster, if I've posted in the wrong section please let me know.

I built my PC in early 2019 and it has been smooth sailing up until a few months ago.
I noticed that sometimes the computer would fail to complete shut down. The monitor turned off and the fans reduced speed but remained spinning. I was stuck having to do a forced shut down holding the power button.

I have a dual boot with Windows and macOS on separate drives. I primarily use macOS so I thought it was a hackintosh related problem.... until it happened in Windows a few times.

Another weird thing is while the shutdown stall happens at least a couple times a week, every ONCE in a while the audio won't be working in either operating system when I turn the computer back on. I.e. the audio option is completely greyed out as if the computer can't recognize the motherboard's built in audio options. I can usually fix this by powering it off a couple times then the audio will be back.

This is such a strange problem, I've never encountered anything like it. Almost posted on a hackintosh forum but today it happened again in Windows 10 so it seems to be completely random and can happen in either OS. I'd say the issue with the audio failing happens maybe 5-10% of time it fails to completely shutdown.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Seasonic Focus 600w PSU
ASUS PRIME B360M-A
3.6ghz Intel i3 8100 Quad Core
Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8GB
Samsung EVO 500gb SSD, Western Digital 1TB SSD

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

In Windows 10 look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and even informational events at the times of the shutdowns.

Do the same on the macOS as well via the system logs there.

Look for some "common" error.

Apr 29, 2021
I added my specs in the original post. I've found the shutdown stall logs in macOS before. They're generated in a spindump file that I had to convert from binary to text via the Terminal. I'll attach that text file to this post if anyone can make sense of it.
Shutdown Log

I don't use Windows very often but I'll see if I can find any relevant error logs from yesterday.
Seems like it's probably a hardware error since it happens in both OS's though? All my hardware was purchased in early 2019, so it's pretty early for something to fail!

Last edited: