[SOLVED] PC won't shut down correctly, it's been over 6 months and nothing has worked to fix it

Dec 26, 2020
I've been having this problem for 6+ months now on a computer I use for work. When I shut down the computer, it'll go to the shut down screen and then only the screen will turn off after a moment. On the tower, the fans continue to spin and the power light stays on. So for some reason it isn't really shutting off. I have to hold the power button to force it to power off every time it does this. It does this about 95% of the time when I shut down the computer, on a rare occasion it won't happen and it'll turn off normally

In addition, putting it in sleep mode puts it in a similar state where it won't wake up correctly; I have to hold down the power button to turn it off and then turn it back on.

I finally had the time to do a clean install of Windows 10 recently and I've re-installed almost all of the programs I've had before (so far) and transferred all of my data.

On the first 1-2 shutdowns, it shut down correctly, but that was before I installed anything. Now I've installed almost everything and I'm having the issue again. (So now I'm guessing there's a program causing this issue?) Before I did the clean install I thought that updating to the latest version of Windows 10 would fix the issue, but clearly this isn't the case. (I wasn't able to update on my last install due to an unknown error.)

Everything I tried so far:
  • Clean install of Windows 10
  • Turning off fast boot
  • Updating to latest bios and chipset drivers
  • Changing power plan to balanced
  • Ending background processes before shutting down

(Weirdly enough some of these worked once or twice then the problem came back)

PC Specs:
Windows 10 20H2 Build 19042.685
Gigabyte a320m-s2h motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
16 GB RAM
Radeon RX 550

If anyone has any advice on what I can do to fix this or help me diagnose what's wrong, I'd really appreciate it! Thank you.