PC won't shut off.

Miroku

Reputable
Aug 16, 2015
Hey guys! I'm having a little trouble turning on my pc. See, the thing is, when I hit the power button, the case fans turn on, but the computer isn't actually on. I have to turn the pc off by turning off the power supply in order for the case to shut off. Please help!

Specs:
NZXT Phantom 410
Intel Pentium G3258
AMD Powercolor R9 285 GPU
AsRock B85M-DGS Micro ATX Motherboard
500 Watt PSU
8GB RAM
128 GB SSD
2 TB HDD

Solution
If you press the power button longer and hold it its suppose to turn off; its called a hard boot.

Is the screen blank because of video issues or the screen is blank because its crashed out of windows?

number of issues....
power button could be bad(it happens): you can try fiddling with it by uninstalling reinstalling the wires on the motherboard; see if its just a bad connection that can be reseated. You can order a new power button....or use another rigs button if compatible and see if you still have symptoms.

After that you need to verify hard drive(few programs to use-- i prefer hard disk sentinel)
then memory(memtest pre windows off USB seems best)
PSU(try a known good PSU off another rig-- order a cheap PSU tester from...

skitszo

Honorable
If you press the power button longer and hold it its suppose to turn off; its called a hard boot.

Is the screen blank because of video issues or the screen is blank because its crashed out of windows?

number of issues....
power button could be bad(it happens): you can try fiddling with it by uninstalling reinstalling the wires on the motherboard; see if its just a bad connection that can be reseated. You can order a new power button....or use another rigs button if compatible and see if you still have symptoms.

After that you need to verify hard drive(few programs to use-- i prefer hard disk sentinel)
then memory(memtest pre windows off USB seems best)
PSU(try a known good PSU off another rig-- order a cheap PSU tester from amazon)
if an older rig like past 6 years get a cmos battery(its cheap)
trouble shoot the graphics card(re-seat the GPU a few times- try a known good GPU-try on chip graphics if...)
uninstall all parts and bench the motherboard if needed.
bad motherboard and CPU is indicated when all the other hardware is OK.
before you replace the motherboard/cpu try a nuetral hardrive to reinstall windows if possible. If your even getting to BIO.s

Solution

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
I'm confused... are you just having problem with power button on the case itself? What if you turned off using the Shutdown command from Windows?

It actually sounds like you could have a loose or bad wire. Have you tried tracing the wire that runs from the power button and into the motherboard? Try unseating it and reinserting it.

TRENDING THREADS