[SOLVED] PC won't shutdown through normal procedure

suka23

Honorable
Sep 11, 2014
Hi everyone,

This one is wrapping my head in a knot, hope anyone out here can give me a hint.

I built my pc a while ago and have been having these intermittent issues with powering it down. The only thing I did "out of the ordinary/typical build" that I normally don't do is plug in the drives from another build without reinstalling windows. I just updated the drivers.

The symptom: When I shutdown my pc through windows > shutdown or alt + f4 > shutdown, it does it's thing, closes running apps, runs the shutdown animation, I lose video signal but that's it. Fans, and leds stay on. It only happened once in a while but now it always happens. I've been experimenting, and I have so far had a 100% success rate at shutting down by setting a timer to shutdown in cmd (shutdown -s -t XXXX). Otherwise I have to long press the shutdown button in the case for a few seconds for a force shutdown.

I've disabled windows fast boot. I'm scared this could be hardware fault, but given the success I had through cmd I'm thinking it could be software?

If it's relevant, the build:
Corsair RM750 750W 80Plus Gold
B450 Tomahawk Max
2x8gb Vengeance 3200 sticks
Ryzen 3600
RX 580 8gb nitro
1TB HDD
500GB SSD

Solution
Indeed it seems to fire up issues left and right for something relatively logical. I just need to figure out what ssd I should get and get around to reinstalling windows. You would say this is not hardware fault then? Since I can shut it down through commands and other gimmicks.
/shutdown -s -t 0 would shut down the PC, so I imagine that does the same. I fixed it by disabling windows fast boot again and changing the shutdown options. There was something wrong with not having "hibernate" to hibernate for some reason. "Shutdown" was already set to shutdown so idk why it wouldn't before.

Anyway, to anyone having the same issues, try that. And reinstalling Windows is always recommended, don't do what I did 😄

suka23

Honorable
Sep 11, 2014
I would think there is a good chance it's that. All the old drivers and OS are expecting your old hardware....and when it's not seen....it can cause problems.

I have come across many many problems over the years that resulted from not doing a clean install.
Indeed it seems to fire up issues left and right for something relatively logical. I just need to figure out what ssd I should get and get around to reinstalling windows. You would say this is not hardware fault then? Since I can shut it down through commands and other gimmicks.

suka23

Honorable
Sep 11, 2014
/shutdown -s -t 0 would shut down the PC, so I imagine that does the same. I fixed it by disabling windows fast boot again and changing the shutdown options. There was something wrong with not having "hibernate" to hibernate for some reason. "Shutdown" was already set to shutdown so idk why it wouldn't before.

Anyway, to anyone having the same issues, try that. And reinstalling Windows is always recommended, don't do what I did 😄

Solution