PC won't sound, strange buzzing sound

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

Hi

Looking for some help here; I have just finished building a computer for my
family having built one for myself successfully, and upgraded it over the
last 3 years. After installing all the components on this new pc, I turn it
on and the cpu fan makes a buzzing sound for about half a second then stops.
I then have to wait a further couple of minutes before I get another buzz.
Nothing else ever happens with regards to the PC starting up.

Could anyone guide me on what the problem might be? Is it the CPU? Is it the
PSU? or something else?

The specs are:
GA-8SIMLP motherboard
256mb PC2100 SDRAM
1.7ghz Celeron
300w PSU
CD-RW & CD-ROM drives
FDD
2 HDDs
56k modem

Thanks in advance.

jad

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

clear the cmos first. try reseating the CPU- memory and vid card if that
doesnt work.

"clarkgable" <nospam_princepeace@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Looking for some help here; I have just finished building a computer for
my
> family having built one for myself successfully, and upgraded it over the
> last 3 years. After installing all the components on this new pc, I turn
it
> on and the cpu fan makes a buzzing sound for about half a second then
stops.
> I then have to wait a further couple of minutes before I get another buzz.
> Nothing else ever happens with regards to the PC starting up.
>
> Could anyone guide me on what the problem might be? Is it the CPU? Is it
the
> PSU? or something else?
>
> The specs are:
> GA-8SIMLP motherboard
> 256mb PC2100 SDRAM
> 1.7ghz Celeron
> 300w PSU
> CD-RW & CD-ROM drives
> FDD
> 2 HDDs
> 56k modem
>
> Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

Does the fan blades turn freely when it stops?. It could be bad bearing on
the fan. Why not just replace the fan? The're only $10 or so.

"clarkgable" <nospam_princepeace@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Looking for some help here; I have just finished building a computer for
> my family having built one for myself successfully, and upgraded it over
> the last 3 years. After installing all the components on this new pc, I
> turn it on and the cpu fan makes a buzzing sound for about half a second
> then stops. I then have to wait a further couple of minutes before I get
> another buzz. Nothing else ever happens with regards to the PC starting
> up.
>
> Could anyone guide me on what the problem might be? Is it the CPU? Is it
> the PSU? or something else?
>
> The specs are:
> GA-8SIMLP motherboard
> 256mb PC2100 SDRAM
> 1.7ghz Celeron
> 300w PSU
> CD-RW & CD-ROM drives
> FDD
> 2 HDDs
> 56k modem
>
> Thanks in advance.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

thanks...

and if that doesn't work, could it be anything else?

"JAD" <hrhackthatspam@witchiepoo.com> wrote in message
> clear the cmos first. try reseating the CPU- memory and vid card if that
> doesnt work.
>

> "clarkgable" <nospam_princepeace@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> Looking for some help here; I have just finished building a computer for
> my
>> family having built one for myself successfully, and upgraded it over the
>> last 3 years. After installing all the components on this new pc, I turn
> it
>> on and the cpu fan makes a buzzing sound for about half a second then
> stops.
>> I then have to wait a further couple of minutes before I get another
>> buzz.
>> Nothing else ever happens with regards to the PC starting up.
>>
>> Could anyone guide me on what the problem might be? Is it the CPU? Is it
> the
>> PSU? or something else?
>>
>> The specs are:
>> GA-8SIMLP motherboard
>> 256mb PC2100 SDRAM
>> 1.7ghz Celeron
>> 300w PSU
>> CD-RW & CD-ROM drives
>> FDD
>> 2 HDDs
>> 56k modem
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 23:42:29 +0000 (UTC), "clarkgable"
<nospam_princepeace@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi
>
>Looking for some help here; I have just finished building a computer for my
>family having built one for myself successfully, and upgraded it over the
>last 3 years. After installing all the components on this new pc, I turn it
>on and the cpu fan makes a buzzing sound for about half a second then stops.
>I then have to wait a further couple of minutes before I get another buzz.

What exactly does "wait .... buzz" mean?
You just turn it off and let it sit or need to unplug from
AC or ??

>Nothing else ever happens with regards to the PC starting up.
>
>Could anyone guide me on what the problem might be? Is it the CPU? Is it the
>PSU? or something else?
>
>The specs are:
>GA-8SIMLP motherboard
>256mb PC2100 SDRAM
>1.7ghz Celeron
>300w PSU
>CD-RW & CD-ROM drives
>FDD
>2 HDDs
>56k modem

Is it a decent name-brand or generic power supply?
Is is possible you have wires or extra/unused case standoffs
shorting out something?

Unplug all nonessential components and retry system.
Leave only CPU, heatsink/fan, 1 memory module, installed.
Unhook everything else from both motherboard and power
supply, including unhook of keyboard, mouse, usb devices,
and front panel led & switch wiring. Turn on board by
shorting the two power-on pins together with something
metal.

If possible (if there are jumpers) try to underclock the FSB
and/or memory.

When clearing CMOS, make sure to unplug AC from PSU.
Check that power supply's rear voltage switch is set
appropriate per your location.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

The buzz means that the fan goes to start, then stops nothing else works.
I'm in the UK, so I'm trying to use 230v voltage. I unplug from the AC and
then start again. And then the half-second buzz sound. Again.

> The buzz means that the fan goes to start, then stops nothing else works.
> I'm in the UK, so I'm trying to use 230v voltage. I unplug from the AC and
> then start again. And then the half-second buzz sound. Again.
>

> "kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 23:42:29 +0000 (UTC), "clarkgable"
>> <nospam_princepeace@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi
>>>
>>>Looking for some help here; I have just finished building a computer for
>>>my
>>>family having built one for myself successfully, and upgraded it over the
>>>last 3 years. After installing all the components on this new pc, I turn
>>>it
>>>on and the cpu fan makes a buzzing sound for about half a second then
>>>stops.
>>>I then have to wait a further couple of minutes before I get another
>>>buzz.
>>
>> What exactly does "wait .... buzz" mean?
>> You just turn it off and let it sit or need to unplug from
>> AC or ??
>>
>>>Nothing else ever happens with regards to the PC starting up.
>>>
>>>Could anyone guide me on what the problem might be? Is it the CPU? Is it
>>>the
>>>PSU? or something else?
>>>
>>>The specs are:
>>>GA-8SIMLP motherboard
>>>256mb PC2100 SDRAM
>>>1.7ghz Celeron
>>>300w PSU
>>>CD-RW & CD-ROM drives
>>>FDD
>>>2 HDDs
>>>56k modem
>>>

>> Is it a decent name-brand or generic power supply?
>> Is is possible you have wires or extra/unused case standoffs
>> shorting out something?
>>
>> Unplug all nonessential components and retry system.
>> Leave only CPU, heatsink/fan, 1 memory module, installed.
>> Unhook everything else from both motherboard and power
>> supply, including unhook of keyboard, mouse, usb devices,
>> and front panel led & switch wiring. Turn on board by
>> shorting the two power-on pins together with something
>> metal.
>>
>> If possible (if there are jumpers) try to underclock the FSB
>> and/or memory.
>>
>> When clearing CMOS, make sure to unplug AC from PSU.
>> Check that power supply's rear voltage switch is set
>> appropriate per your location.

Possibly a short on the PSU, sort of sound you get when protection circuitry
cuts in.

---

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

It WAS the PSU. Thanks for all the replies.