Question PC won't start after gpu drivers update.

Dec 5, 2022
Hello there,
I come here seeking for help. Making it really simple, I was chatting with some friends when a new update for my gpu drivers pops up, decide to install the new drivers, restart the pc via drivers. Pc turns on, light, ram, CPU everything. Except one thing; gpu apparently is having some trouble. On he 4 dots when booting the pc it check CPU, DRAM, VGA and just stops there never completing the boot. I tried to plug the HDMI cable in the MOBO, boot completes but nothing shows up on the monitor, not even the BIOS (note that I haven't touched MOBO drivers or anything), also tried unplugging everything, as well as gpu, didn't work either.
Been waiting 10 minutes now for any changes but the light is just sitting there at VGA, if any of you know what could be the problem I'm open for advice. I'll really appreciate any kind of help.

Dec 5, 2022
Full system specs, including PSU make and model (or part number) is? Also, how old the PSU is, and was the PSU bought new or used/refurbished?
MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus B450 M
CPU: Ryzen 2600
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 570 armor OC 8gb
RAM STICKS: HyperX Predator DDR4 3000Mhz 2x8gb
PSU: Corsair VS650

PSU was bought in factory new condition off Amazon, unused, about 3 adn a half years ago. Works fine and should be more than enough to power this low-mid range PC.
The rest of the specs have the exact same age and bought new.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
PSU: Corsair VS650

That's a terrible PSU and you getting ~3 years out of it is expected, since Corsair VS-series usually does last that long.

As of what might be toast: everything that was connected to PSU (and yes, i suspect your PSU did go "pop").

Here, what is needed, is 2nd, compatible PC, where to test out your components individually, to see what survived and what didn't. Also, look towards new PSU as well. But this time, get good quality unit, e.g Seasonic Focus or Corsair RM/RMx/RMi, in 650W range (more, if you plan to upgrade/replace your GPU).

Dec 5, 2022
That's a terrible PSU and you getting ~3 years out of it is expected, since Corsair VS-series usually does last that long.

As of what might be toast: everything that was connected to PSU (and yes, i suspect your PSU did go "pop").

Here, what is needed, is 2nd, compatible PC, where to test out your components individually, to see what survived and what didn't. Also, look towards new PSU as well. But this time, get good quality unit, e.g Seasonic Focus or Corsair RM/RMx/RMi, in 650W range (more, if you plan to upgrade/replace your GPU).
I don't have a 2nd pc, this is the only one I've had so far. Are you sure PSU could be the problem here? Surely you have more experience than me, but it seems weird that everything still turns on.. Anyways, in case that most of the specs went "pop", would you just recommend getting a new build?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Surely you have more experience than me, but it seems weird that everything still turns on..

Just because you get some life out of the PC, doesn't mean it all works.
In a similar sense, if you turn the car ignition and all the lights come on, but engine won't start, doesn't mean that car is fine and you can drive with it. Nor does it mean that the rest of the car parts (transmission, drive train, brakes etc) also work fine.

At current moment, one of the following, or all of them, can be dead: CPU, MoBo, RAM, GPU and PSU. Since these 5 are needed for PC to work properly. And without testing, there's no way to tell which of them (if not all of them) are toast.

MoBo is usually 1st to go, when PSU acts up. GPU is closely followed by MoBo, so GPU can be toast as well. CPU and RAM, usually, survive the PSU going belly up.

So, better to look towards new build. Or the very least, new CPU-MoBo-PSU combo. Since you might be able to re-use your RAM (if you get DDR4 RAM MoBo) and if very lucky, your GPU might have survived as well. PC case can be easily reused. Same with case fans. OS/data drives probably survived as well. But without testing, there's no definitive answer.

Life lesson: NEVER cheap out on PSU. Since PSU powers everything, it is the most important component inside the PC.

Reactions: NotSoko
Dec 5, 2022
Just because you get some life out of the PC, doesn't mean it all works.
In a similar sense, if you turn the car ignition and all the lights come on, but engine won't start, doesn't mean that car is fine and you can drive with it. Nor does it mean that the rest of the car parts (transmission, drive train, brakes etc) also work fine.

At current moment, one of the following, or all of them, can be dead: CPU, MoBo, RAM, GPU and PSU. Since these 5 are needed for PC to work properly. And without testing, there's no way to tell which of them (if not all of them) are toast.

MoBo is usually 1st to go, when PSU acts up. GPU is closely followed by MoBo, so GPU can be toast as well. CPU and RAM, usually, survive the PSU going belly up.

So, better to look towards new build. Or the very least, new CPU-MoBo-PSU combo. Since you might be able to re-use your RAM (if you get DDR4 RAM MoBo) and if very lucky, your GPU might have survived as well. PC case can be easily reused. Same with case fans. OS/data drives probably survived as well. But without testing, there's no definitive answer.

Life lesson: NEVER cheap out on PSU. Since PSU powers everything, it is the most important component inside the PC.
I think I've learned my life lesson, and I hope there are not going to be many others like this, not so cheap life lessons.
Anyways thank you for the help, appreciate it a lot. Have a good day :)

Reactions: Aeacus