Question PC wont start after PSU upgrade.

doomrider7

Honorable
Mar 2, 2015
I just finished swapping out my old Gold EVGA 750w for a Platinum Corsair 850w and while I'm fairly certain I wired everything correctly, it wont start. It's receiving power since the mobo lights up and the connected USB adapters light up as do the connected external HDD's. When I press the power button, I hear what sounds like a small clink sound and then nothing. Fans don't start or anything else. There's also an odd smell that I hate to say smells like somethin burnt or shorted which worries me a LOT. If this means my mobo and cpu shorted then that's just them breaks but was due an upgrade anyway(still a HUGE bummer), but I'm hoping it's just that and nothing more especially with my HDD'S.

Edit: Previous issue was on my server PC. This...is tragically my gaming rig.

Last edited:

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
You might want to just swap back to the 750W, it's probably not an issue to use that. If it works on the 750, you probably have some sort of RMA-able problem on your new unit. Corsair will send you a new one if you explain this to their support with video evidence. Just checking, you did connect your mobo's front panel connectors, right? It might just be that the power button on your case isn't connected.

doomrider7

Honorable
Mar 2, 2015
I'm hoping you didn't use the Evga modular cables on the corsair psu because they're wired completely differently?

If you did it could be absolutely disastrous.

(Insert sweat drops smiley)

I...really don't remember. I'm pretty sure I didn't. But worst case scenario that I did...how bad is the damage? Mobo looks surprisingly ok and nothing seems off about it. The EVGA was only semi-modular so the bulk of the cables were from the new, but I just don't know now and I wasn't aware of that being an issue. How would I be able to figure that out?

doomrider7

Honorable
Mar 2, 2015
You might want to just swap back to the 750W, it's probably not an issue to use that. If it works on the 750, you probably have some sort of RMA-able problem on your new unit. Corsair will send you a new one if you explain this to their support with video evidence. Just checking, you did connect your mobo's front panel connectors, right? It might just be that the power button on your case isn't connected.

I'm pretty sure I did, but I'll look into it.

doomrider7

Honorable
Mar 2, 2015
Swapped back to the old one and...everything is back to normal it seems so that would mean there's something wrong with the PSU?

Edit: If anyone has any ideas as to what happened I'd love the input.

Last edited: