Question PC won't start at all

Jul 17, 2022
I have an old pc that worked fine but my monitor broke back in April 2021. I've bought a new monitor and in preparation I dusted it but after I tried to start it, nothing happened. Before the screen broke, I would always have to wait after turning my pc off, 15-20 minutes before turning it back on. Also my graphics card shows that it gets power. I've always blamed my pc case but could it be the
PSU ? Any ideas are more than welcome

Basil

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
If I understand correctly, you haven't been able to start your PC since you got a new monitor.
Have you ruled out if it's a monitor issue? (Test if the PC works with a different monitor, test if the monitor works with a different device.)

When you say your PC won't start at all, do the fans start spinning or not? Does the motherboard have any lights?

I would always have to wait after turning my pc off, 15-20 minutes before turning it back on.

There should be nothing in your case that could cause an issue like that, it sounds more like an issue with the PSU.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Another possibility. The CPU_FAN header monitors its fan closely for NO fan speed signal, which it understands to mean the fan has failed and there is NO cooling for the CPU. Many mobos will NOT allow you to start up if the CPU fan does not start immediately. ALSO, even if that fna starts, IF the fan's speed signal does not get to the header (because of loose or dirty contacts at the header) that still appears to be a fan failure. Try checking to be sure the fan spins, AND try unplgging it and re-connecting it several times to clean the contacts.

Jul 17, 2022
If I understand correctly, you haven't been able to start your PC since you got a new monitor.
Have you ruled out if it's a monitor issue? (Test if the PC works with a different monitor, test if the monitor works with a different device.)

When you say your PC won't start at all, do the fans start spinning or not? Does the motherboard have any lights?

There should be nothing in your case that could cause an issue like that, it sounds more like an issue with the PSU.
Thank you for the response but the monitor didn't even arrive yet. Absolutely nothing happens when I press the power button, and the only light that I have is on the the gpu. I also tried starting it with the screwdriver method, but nothing moves. Also, I tried changing the CMOS battery.

Jul 17, 2022
Quick update, it is most likely the power supply unit, after taking it apart I noticed there is a lot of melted plastic inside that looks like cheese. Should I buy a new PSU or could it be something else?

Basil

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
Quick update, it is most likely the power supply unit, after taking it apart I noticed there is a lot of melted plastic inside that looks like cheese. Should I buy a new PSU or could it be something else?
If your PSU is melted on the inside, then it would be wise to get a new PSU either way because using a damaged PSU could cause damage to a number of other components.
However, you said your graphics cards is showing light, meaning it's receiving power. It's possible the PSU is unable to power some of the components that's causing the boot fail, but don't rule out the possibility that you've damaged a component while cleaning the computer, depending on what you used to clean it.
Either way, a good starts will probably be to replace your PSU.

Jul 17, 2022
If your PSU is melted on the inside, then it would be wise to get a new PSU either way because using a damaged PSU could cause damage to a number of other components.
However, you said your graphics cards is showing light, meaning it's receiving power. It's possible the PSU is unable to power some of the components that's causing the boot fail, but don't rule out the possibility that you've damaged a component while cleaning the computer, depending on what you used to clean it.
Either way, a good starts will probably be to replace your PSU.
Thank you for the responses. I only used a dry cleaning cloth and was gentle with it. Even if it's not the PSU, I'd still like to replace it, simply because it's very old. I'll come back with an update after I install the new PSU