[SOLVED] PC won't start but runs flawlessly when the green and ground cable are connected

Jan 2, 2019
I have an old pc that haven't been used for quite some time. A couple of days ago, when I turned it on, it didn't boot. But when I placed a jumper on the green (pwr on) and ground cable of the power supply, it ran flawlessly. Now I replace the jumper with an on/off switch. Just want to ask, is it dangerous? Is it gonna blow or something?

Solution
In all honesty, you seem to have mentioned the scenario quite vaguely. How old is the system? If you mean you did the paperclip test on the PSU to see if powers up, please be warned, the paperclip PSU test doesn't indicate how much power the PSU can deliver to the entire system.

Now, I'm very curious to learn what you mean by the on/off switch being in place of the jumpers.

Lutfij

Titan
In all honesty, you seem to have mentioned the scenario quite vaguely. How old is the system? If you mean you did the paperclip test on the PSU to see if powers up, please be warned, the paperclip PSU test doesn't indicate how much power the PSU can deliver to the entire system.

Now, I'm very curious to learn what you mean by the on/off switch being in place of the jumpers.

Solution

Tumeden

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016

Sounds like he has an on/off toggle switch to make the same connection the jumper/paperclip test would do.

lol.

Jan 2, 2019
Thank you for the reply. It's a core 2 duo with radeon 4650. And yes I replace the jumper with a switch since the PSU won't turn off after I shutdown the computer. And when I start it again using the switch It works like a charm.... So is that dangerous or what....