PC wont start once the GPU is plugged in

May 16, 2018
Hi, thanks in advance for your help

Short version: a few weeks ago, my computer shut down with burnt smell and wouldn't start. I replaced the psu cuz my friend said it was the likely problem. Now, it works and displays desktop except when the gpu is plugged in- with gpu installed, the pc wont start, mobo LEDs don't light up, and the cpu fan spins once, with a little click sound from the psu.

Long version: A few weeks ago, I was playing a game on my PC when it suddenly shut down, and the power breaker for that outlet tripped. There was a burnt smell from my computer. It wouldn't turn on again, no LEDS, no fans, nothing. I thought it might be the PSU so (without trying it without the gpu) I sent it in cuz warranty was still good. Just recieved a new PSU, and once I installed it and replaced all the main cables, the computer will start up, fans are back, LEDS, everything's fine and it displays my desktop on my display. Except it only works with my mobo's integrated graphics, once I plug in the graphics card and connect the cables to the psu, the pc wont start at all. Only a small click sound from the psu, and my cpu fan spins once. With the gpu connected, I get no LEDS at all.

Does this mean my gpu got toasted? Is it possible the GPU was the original problem, since I never tried to boot the computer without it when it initially shut down?

Is there anything I should try before I order a replacement gpu? Replace the cords? Keep in mind a hardware noob so please explain things in detail.

Specs:
CPU: Intel - Core i7-4790K 4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($335.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Crucial - BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($737.98 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Case: NZXT - S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Acer - Predator XB271HUA 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor ($789.55 @ Newegg Marketplace)

May 16, 2018
Ok, good idea. I didn't see any blackened areas on the connector part of the gpu, but I'll try that. Would it be a good permanent solution if putting my gpu on a different pcie slot works? Is there any risk to a different computer testing my possibly faulty gpu?

May 16, 2018
Ok here's an update- I plugged in the gpu to a different pcie slot, and the pc started- but the gpu LEDS flickered, I smelled a burnt smell again, then I panicked and shut off everything with the switch on the power supply. :0

What do I do??

TRENDING THREADS