Question PC won't start! Please help!

Aug 29, 2019
So I just built my new PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
MSI Rx 5700
Asrock b450m Steel Legend
Corsair Vengeance 2x8gb

Anyways, I got it nicely built, plug it in and turn on the PSU. The lights come on on the motherboard, but the power switch does absolutely nothing, no fans turning, nothing!
I also tried shorting the power button pins on the mobo, but got the same result.

I've tried unplugging everything and plugging them back in (except GPU and CPU), and I've tried different combinations of the two RAM sticks, but no result.

The motherboard needs the right BIOS version for the CPU, but the box came with a "Ryzen 3000 ready" sticker on it, so that should be fine. But I'm wondering if perhaps the BIOS might not have been updated? Would this cause the PC to not even attempt to turn on?

Please help, I'm open to any suggestions!

Edit: I have tried stripping it back to just PSU, mobo, CPU and heatsink, again with no luck.

I have also tried using a spare PSU and both PSUs passed the paperclip test.

I have also tried clearing the CMOS

Last edited:

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
The newest Bios version for this mobo is v.2.7 and it came out a few days ago. Look on your motherboard and see if there are small stickers that say "1.30" anywhere. Depending on the actual manufacturer date, The "From-the-factory" mobo may not actually support the new 3000 "Matisse Ridge" series without a Bios update.

There is no easy way to update the Bios if you don't have a 1st or 2nd gen Ryzen. You CAN contact AMD and with proof of purchase, they will send you a "loaner" CPU to flash your mobo.

See here: - Loan Boot Kit - https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019
The newest Bios version for this mobo is v.2.7 and it came out a few days ago. Look on your motherboard and see if there are small stickers that say "1.30" anywhere. Depending on the actual manufacturer date, The "From-the-factory" mobo may not actually support the new 3000 "Matisse Ridge" series without a Bios update.

There is no easy way to update the Bios if you don't have a 1st or 2nd gen Ryzen. You CAN contact AMD and with proof of purchase, they will send you a "loaner" CPU to flash your mobo.

See here: - Loan Boot Kit - https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

Thanks, I have requested a boot kit.

Is incompatible BIOS enough to stop even the fans from spinning when I try to power up though? Absolutely nothing happens when I attempt to power up.