Question PC won't start up if GPU plugged in

Apr 22, 2021
Hi guys,
I searched on this forum for a post that could help me and my little PC, and could not find one that matches my problems, so here it is.
So, 3 days ago I was playing GTA5 (with Spotify and Discord opened on side), I was on my 7th hour of gaming, and suddenly my PC shutted off, without a single error, BSOD or whatever. Tried to restart it after 10 or 15 minutes, but no sign of live (just the mobo LEDs that are constantly lightning).

The specs :
CPU : Ryzen3 3100
MB : Asus B450 Gaming Plus
GPU : Gigabyte 780Ti OC
PSU : Corsair CX650 (650W)
RAM : 2x8Go 3200MHz

What I did until now :
  • Tried to restart it 2 or 3 times, after completely disconnecting PSU and clear CMOS : no fans spinning, no bios appearing
  • Moved the GPU on a different PCIe slot : no fans spinning, no bios appearing
  • Disconnected the two 6+2 power cables of the GPU : no fans spinning, no bios appearing
  • Dusted off the GPU card, applied new thermal paste on the GPU itself : no fans spinning, no bios appearing
  • Tried another GPU (Gt440) I have in stock, on the PCIe slot I usually use : properly boots, the PC is back to life

I'm having an enormous headache right now as I don't know if the culprit is the GPU or the PSU, and with the actual state of the market, I would prefer to buy a new PSU rather than a new GPU card.

The card is going to be tested in another PC in the next few days, meanwhile any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance !

PS : and another little problem, with the Gt440 in place, if I try to pull just a little bit my headset cable (which is located next to the HDMI cable), the PC sometimes crashes and restarts right after.

Ralston18

Titan
Heavy gaming use - correct? Overclocked GPU ?

780 Ti specs recommend a 600 watt PSU.

Reference:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N78TOC-3GD-rev-10/sp#sp

It could well be that the PSU was unable to provide some peak power demand and may no longer be able to do so.

Determine, as you mentioned, if the 780 Ti GPU will work in another known working computer. Hopefully so but do pay attention to the wattage requirements.

And it appears that when the headset cable is pulled a short circuit is being created and the PC crashes. Problem #2.

Could be audio or HDMI. Swap in known working cables to eliminate a cable/plug issue.

If that does not work then you need to power down the computer, open the case, and look for something that is loose or some plug and/or port that makes contact when the cable is pulled. Especially around the I/O ports.

Apr 22, 2021
Hi there, thanks for the reply !

Heavy gaming use - correct? Overclocked GPU ?

Heavy gaming use yes, but no overclock as I never felt the need.

It could well be that the PSU was unable to provide some peak power demand and may no longer be able to do so.

I planned to change the PSU this month or the next so maybe I'll have to do it now ? I know that I could test it, but how ?

Determine, as you mentioned, if the 780 Ti GPU will work in another known working computer. Hopefully so but do pay attention to the wattage requirements.

I'm going to get the card tested in another PC that already runs a 970, in one hour or so, so hopefully the specs of the PSU will be good.

And it appears that when the headset cable is pulled a short circuit is being created and the PC crashes. Problem #2.

Could be audio or HDMI. Swap in known working cables to eliminate a cable/plug issue.

If that does not work then you need to power down the computer, open the case, and look for something that is loose or some plug and/or port that makes contact when the cable is pulled. Especially around the I/O ports.

The HDMI cable I'm using now comes from the TV where I have the PS4 plugged in, so the cable seems to be good.
The headset cable (USB) also functions as I can plug in on the front panel and on my phone without any problems.
I'll open my PC to see what I can do, maybe just a loose screw or something like that..

I'll give you an update when I'm with the GPU card plugged in the other PC. Fingers crossed.

Apr 22, 2021
Okay so, GPU has been installed in my friend's PC, and...... (drum play)
It works ! The specs of this PC are :
  • CPU : unknown
  • MB : unknown
  • RAM : 2x4Go DDR3 2133MHz
  • PSU : Antec 750W

I didn't have the time to test the card under heavy load, but does it means I have to buy a new PSU, or do I have to do other tests just to be sure ?
I don't have my multi-meter since 2018 and not planning to buy one in the future, so I don't think I can test out the PSU.