[SOLVED] PC won't start up, I'm stuck in Corona lockdown so no professional help reachable, what can I do?

Mar 17, 2020
Mainboard: ASUS H170 Pro
CPU: Intel i7 6700K
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 Amor
PSU: Corsair VX550W
RAM: 4x HyperX 8GB DDR4 2400MHzHarddrive: 2TB Western Digital (Broken), 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 250GB Samsung SSD (Windows), 500GB
Western Digital

One year ago I got myself the MSI RTX 2070 card, after installing it myself my system got a little bit weird. After the new card was fitted my gaming harddrive sometimes worked as expected, sometimes it made my whole system freeze frame after spooling up to 100% usage for no good reason. Suspected a broken sector or something, tried to fix it but didn't work. After one year the hard drive is still connected and running, just because I have some programs on it I don't need that often.

After installing the new GPU another thing happened at the same time: My PC sometimes didn't start (black screen, no BIOS, keyboard light off, fans running), but after hard reseting a few times it would boot and run as expected. I've never experienced a blue screen or something like that while the PC was up and running.

Just yesterday while I was installing a gaming service (FaceIt) for CS:GO my computer needed a restart in order to finish the installation. It again didn't start up, which wasn't to unexpected, but after hard reseting it still didn't correctly. After trying for a few hours I gave up. I can't reach BIOS since the screen is black, I also tried it with the onboard graphics card - still no signal.

Today I salvaged a buzzer out of my pre 2005 Windows XP PC and installed it in my build. After startup the buzzer beeped 6 times, like "beep beep beep [short pause] beep beep beep". I can't find any sufficient information about what this means.

Thank you in advance for helping me resolve the issue.

Solution
Did you get this resolved?

Check it out. I just built a new PC on an Asus B450 gaming board. PC failed to boot and had post beeps. I had the EXACT same post beeps off my mobo speaker. By the way..... EXCELLENT thinking using the motherboard speaker. So many people skip that but it can be a life saver.

Anyhow, turns out that the 3 beeps, pause, 3 beeps on MY motherboard signified a GPU error. Turned out my GPU wasn't getting the correct power draw needed because my 6 pin wasn't contacting on the card. After unplugging and plugging back in, BOOM! boot successful! There is a very good chance it is PSU related.

So, suggestion would be to test the minimum setup to get your PC running powered like the user, punkcat, said. CPU+ 1 mem stick...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
In a case like this I would likely reset the CMOS and take the system down to it's simplest form to see if it will boot reliably then. As in, take out all but OS drive, all but one stick of RAM, no GPU.

Check all your PSU connectors not only tight to it's receptacle but that the pins within the connector haven't slipped back/out.

A friend's HP did something like this and was a power issue.

Reactions: grhand82

grhand82

Honorable
Oct 24, 2014

Check it out. I just built a new PC on an Asus B450 gaming board. PC failed to boot and had post beeps. I had the EXACT same post beeps off my mobo speaker. By the way..... EXCELLENT thinking using the motherboard speaker. So many people skip that but it can be a life saver.

Anyhow, turns out that the 3 beeps, pause, 3 beeps on MY motherboard signified a GPU error. Turned out my GPU wasn't getting the correct power draw needed because my 6 pin wasn't contacting on the card. After unplugging and plugging back in, BOOM! boot successful! There is a very good chance it is PSU related.

So, suggestion would be to test the minimum setup to get your PC running powered like the user, punkcat, said. CPU+ 1 mem stick in slot 1 + OS boot drive and start adding components back in from there. It may be a pain in the butt, but you will learn more about your PC and get more info on how to troubleshoot in the future.

Good luck chap!

Solution
Mar 17, 2020

So, suggestion would be to test the minimum setup to get your PC running powered like the user, punkcat, said. CPU+ 1 mem stick in slot 1 + OS boot drive and start adding components back in from there. It may be a pain in the butt, but you will learn more about your PC and get more info on how to troubleshoot in the future.

Good luck chap!

To awnser your question: Not really. I haven't completely fixed it, but found a workaround. After removing every unimportant component it still didn't boot correctly, therefore I bought a new of the oldest of the three components - the PSU. After I installed it it still beeped, therefore I came to the conclusion that some chip on my mainboard probably is broken. After fitting everything back inside (with the old PSU) I started again, and this time it booted as expected. It turns out that sometimes it does boot correctly, I apparently just didn't try it often enough. I can now kind of use the PC, again, as soon as it boots it works completely fine. I'll just have to hard reset it everytime it beeps until it starts. As soon as possible I will get it the professional attention it needs , though.

Thank you for your time and information.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
My search on your mobo plus "beep codes" provided this

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/8fznpc/computer_beeps_and_wont_turn_on_3_beeps_pause_3/

It says that, for most ASUS mobos, a pattern of one long plus two short beeps (may be repeated) indicates a problem with a RAM stick. You MAY have an intermittent poor connection there. You could try simply and carefully removing each RAM stick and then re-installing it. Repeat a few times each stick. IF there was a poor contact involved, this may clean it off and help fix your problem.

Mar 17, 2020
My search on your mobo plus "beep codes" provided this

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/8fznpc/computer_beeps_and_wont_turn_on_3_beeps_pause_3/

It says that, for most ASUS mobos, a pattern of one long plus two short beeps (may be repeated) indicates a problem with a RAM stick. You MAY have an intermittent poor connection there. You could try simply and carefully removing each RAM stick and then re-installing it. Repeat a few times each stick. IF there was a poor contact involved, this may clean it off and help fix your problem.
I tried that already, unfortunately it didn't fix my problem. I also tested with different RAM-sticks. It's probably some chip on the mainboard.
Thank you for your help :)

Last edited by a moderator: