PC wont start up

Jason_134

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
Hi everyone,

I woke up this morning, pressed the power button on my pc and noticed nothing was happening. No power LED, no sounds, literally nothing happened. I proceeded checking a few things. Disconnected my PSU and tested it in a different board and it was working. I cleared the CMOS, disconnected everything inside my pc besides the bare essentials. Took out my ram and put in a different set. Still nothing. I am at a loss right now, all my hardware is less than 2 months old and I never had an issue, it was working just fine last night.

When I flip the switch on the back of my PSU the LED on my mouse turns on and also the small ethernet led turns on.

Is it safe to assume my motherboard is dead? Or is there something I missed?

Solution
I feel so silly now. After 3 hours of trying everything I figured I could try putting the reset sw connector to the pwr connector pins and it worked.

Apparently I did the jumping wrong.

Thanks anyway man!

Mathsnerds

Reputable
Jan 17, 2015
Have you tried re seating the RAM? sometimes it also could be a connected has come loose on the motherboard itself, maybe a solder point. I doubt that though. Just double check that your power button and reset switch is connected properly to the MOBO, that would explain the lights on but no power up. Since, you have tried the PSU with another board it leads me to think that the problem is with the MOBO. Is there anything you installed recently? New drivers, BIOS or PC monitoring software?

Whats the MOBOs part number? Does your PC have integrated graphics? If so disconnect the GPU and try to boot with your monitor connected to the integrated graphics output on the MOBO.

Jason_134

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
I feel so silly now. After 3 hours of trying everything I figured I could try putting the reset sw connector to the pwr connector pins and it worked.

Apparently I did the jumping wrong.

Thanks anyway man!

Solution