[SOLVED] PC Won't start with gpu installed

Feb 26, 2020
2 days ago i tried to turn on my computer after about 2 weeks of no usage .as i pressed the power button my pc seemed dead for the first time ,i usually face this kind of problems as the electricity in my apartment is so bad but the computer shows me fans spinning at least when i try turning it on most of the times ive had the problem .
But this time there was no sign at all !
I tried alot of things :removing the RAM ,CMOS, cleaning all the components , reconnecting all the caples and even i removed everything then i put it together again after cleaning all the setup .
But seems there is nothing working when i turn it on the PSU fan only spins for like 1 sec then stops with nothing happening even the CPU fand are dead .
I tried removing the gpu then it WORKED !
But the PSU fan started spinning fast the slows down then fast again at normal seed like it's not having enough power which is weird sine it was working good 2 weeks ago
Is this problem with my PSU OR GPU ?
I dont have anyone with a good computer that i can use to test the GPU near me
My friend could be available in about 3 days but till then is there anything i can do to know where is the problem and fix it ?
Thanks.
Setup:
I3 8100
Gigabyte h310m s2h motherboard
Rx580 4gb mai armor gpu
500w hexa+ psu
8gb ram 1 stick
1tb hdd
128gb ssd

Solution
Strongly suspect the PSU is failing. Ideally, try another known working PSU in the computer. If necessary borrow another PSU from friend, neighbor or whoever else.

If the computer starts and runs OK with the test PSU, then the original PSU is failing/faulty.
If the computer continues to act up, then there might be an issue with the motherboard. Try to get another known working video card (borrow from friend, neighbor etc if necessary), and see what happens.

If the computer starts and runs OK with the test video card, then the original video card maybe faulty/failing.
But if the computer still has issues starting and running, then the motherboard is suspected of being faulty/failing.

But the PSU is the most suspect failing/faulty...
Strongly suspect the PSU is failing. Ideally, try another known working PSU in the computer. If necessary borrow another PSU from friend, neighbor or whoever else.

If the computer starts and runs OK with the test PSU, then the original PSU is failing/faulty.
If the computer continues to act up, then there might be an issue with the motherboard. Try to get another known working video card (borrow from friend, neighbor etc if necessary), and see what happens.

If the computer starts and runs OK with the test video card, then the original video card maybe faulty/failing.
But if the computer still has issues starting and running, then the motherboard is suspected of being faulty/failing.

But the PSU is the most suspect failing/faulty component.

Solution
Feb 26, 2020

But the PSU is the most suspect failing/faulty component.
I tried powering up my computer with my current psu and it runs well without a gpu installed at least thats how it looks .
I don't have a test PSU so i can't decide if my current PSU is faulty for now ...
Is there another way to make sure my GPU isn't dead at least ? .
As i said my pc doesn't work with the GPU installed at all even my GPU didn't show any signs of failing/dieng last time i used it but now it just stopped working .

Feb 26, 2020
thanks for answering me friend :)
i'll test my GPU today.
so it's not possible that another piece of hardware is the issue than the GPU/PSU/motherboard ?
+is there any way to test a PSU in my current system that doesn't have a GPU installed ?
i also noticed the screen going black then coming back again and glitching sometimes on both my old GPU
(when it was working) and my current Intel HD GPU is this a sign of a failing PSU or just a problem with electricity or a bad HDMI cable ?.

Last edited:
Still seems more likely to be a faulty/failing PSU.

You could try measuring PSU output voltages at the ends of PSU connectors by using a digital multimeter and note any variations in the voltages while the PSU is connected to components and under load.

For 12 V nominal voltage, the voltage should be within the range 11.4 ~ 12.6 V
For 5 V nominal voltage, the voltage should be within the range 4.75 ~ 5.25 V
For 3.3 V nominal voltage, the voltage should be within the range 3.125 ~ 3.165 V

Feb 26, 2020
thanks for your answer again.
i haven't tested my GPU yet but i've done some searching and figured out it could be a BIOS related problem since my HDD and SSD aren't being detected in the BIOS and just are labeled in boxes as an empty box with no name like "kingston SSD" or anything ...
so could the BIOS cause my pc to not work with GPU installed ?
i also have my GPU connected to my MOBO pci-e but with no power at all and the pc works normally
does this information help further in the troubleshooting process ?

You could try to update the BIOS.

But I still think the PSU is prime suspect here based on all information to date.

Ideally, and preferably, as mentioned before, another working PSU should be tried as a test. Failing that, measuring PSU output voltages while running MIGHT help in confirming whether the PSU is working properly or not. But this voltage measuring test is not guaranteed to be an accurate assessment of the status of the PSU.

Reactions: TEH_DiZeR