PC wont start with graphics card installed

ninz249

Prominent
Sep 19, 2017
Hi guys been reading your forums for a while now and now have my own problem.
My partner dropped an ironing board down the back of my pc and hit my psu cable and bent it out of shape this happed about 5 month ago and no problems had been found since.
2 days ago i took part in a event online that lasted 2 days logged into a high graphics game by the time i turned my computer off my main screen was lagging out my other monitor logged into same game running fine... the following morning my pc wouldnt turn on I took out the GPU and plugged monitor into the mobo thinking my GPU had burnt out the pc came on ran updates freaked out for a moment and is running but very laggy... I have since replaced the PSU maybe the bend had caused power loss over some time after being left on for so long under high strain it dropped to a point it couldnt run the GPU, Nothing pc still wouldnt come on. Iv now put a different GPU in and again no signal going to monitor. so is this actually my mobo because I have no way that I know of to test the mobo and thats the only part I cant take out and replace iv read that a damaged pci port on mobo could be the cause however I cant find any burns or damage on the mobo.

I used to be pretty good with a pc but i got left behind with the newer tech or jut forgot what im doing i dunno but could use some help.

My system specs as best i know of.

psu is a corsair 450 running a
ASUS M4A78LT-M LE - AMD 760G - Socket AM3 - DDR3 1800(OC) - SATA 3Gb/s - SATA RAID - MicroATX - Onboard Graphics
possibly burnt processor 2.6 (windows specs says 2.0 so a terrible processor for what im doing and no problems before the event)
8 gb ram
Radeon HD 6870
Ancient laptop hard drive ( i know but it works)

do this, what is the result at the end?

. disconnect power from PSU (unplug from wall)
. open case, put your ati video card back in making sure power is applied to the card (cable 6pion I believe in this case)
. remove cmos battery from motherboard (should pop right out)
. wait 5 mins
. reinstall cmos battery
. apply power to PSu
. turn PC on,

- does it boot ?
- does it get to Bios ?
- does it get to windows ?

if not...

pull power from psu, remove video card, plug monitor into main board one, pop cmos battery again, put it back in 2 mins later, apply power to psu, Boot

report either ways if you get back into PC.

if not.. chances are main board is gone by bye

ninz249

Prominent
Sep 19, 2017

Hi there thanks for quick reply.

I have done the first thing you mentioned pc comes on seems abit quieter than normal but still no signal to monitor GPU fans on it are spinning normally.

2nd thing you said I did that pc comes on as normal i let it sit for abit longer with no cmos bat as went for a smoke but pc came on with monitor plugged into mobo

I just pulled a GPU out of my partners machine this card did not require a power supply from PSU just plug and play it works pc came back on as normal.

maybe PSU is damaged????

ninz249

Prominent
Sep 19, 2017
It turned out id blown the GPU replaced with a different one from a local shop and pc is back up and running.

Thanks for the advice dude catch ya next time