[SOLVED] Pc won't startup (motherboard/cpu) issue

ashraf909

Honorable
Aug 20, 2015
Hey pc users :)
For the last 10 days i had problems with my pc when i heavy game on it randomly restarts .
So i thought it was overheating problem .
I cleaned my pc components every bit and changed thermal paste for gpu and cpu .
Then my pc couldn't start at all .
Thought my psu is dead . But tested it with 20-24 pins and it worked .
Thought something wrong with motherboard power so started making tests .
Removed every component bit by bit with trying to power on but no luck until i removed cpu power and only 24 pin cable connected psu and motherboard started running .
Restored some components bit by bit to motherboard all worked (fans , gpu , cpu fan) all worked but when connected cpu power (8 pin at motherboard) it doesn't startup.and i have to remove cpu cable and remove and reattach the 24 pin cable to start again .
So now anyone figure is this a cpu or motherboard issue , is there a fix or i need to replace it .

My rig :
Msi Z170a gaming power
Intel core i7 6700k
Cooler master 650 w g80 bronze psu
Gigabyte gtx1080 windforce oc
2 x hyperx savage 2600 hz 8gb ram

Lutfij

Titan
The paperclip test is a worthless way to test a PSU. In fact it doesn't indicate how much power the PSU can effectively output. With that regards, if you're in possession of an MWE PSU from CoolerMaster(since there's no G80) then you need to replace the unit with a more reliably build unit. Wattage wise, 650W should be good for the entire system.

The issue is your PSU, if you're not experiencing a thermal protection shutdown, when the system is taxed.

What aftermarket cooler are you working with?

ashraf909

Honorable
Aug 20, 2015
Yep sry it's 80 plus bronze psu miss type
But my pc doesn't start up at all now , i am worried i change psu and there would be another issue
My cpu cooler is cryorig h7 . I don't overclock .
The idea that i must remove cpu power cable to pc work make me think there is a motherboard power issue but i can try my Friend's psu in 2 days to test that .

Last edited: