[SOLVED] PC won't stay shut down or sleep after PSU replacement ?

Nov 6, 2021
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte: GA-Z170X-UD5 TH-CF
  • Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00 GHz, 4001Mhz, 4 * Core(s)
  • RAM: 16GB
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
  • Non-Functioning PSU: EVGA-700B
  • Old/Replacement PSU: Corsair CX750M
Found my PC off and not powering on. Tested the PSU(the EVGA) with paperclips and with another motherboard and it did not spin up or power the board. I had an old Corsair CX750M lying around and put that in and seems to be working fine.

The only issue is when I go to Shutdown or put the PC to sleep, the PC doesn't seem to sleep or shut down properly and instead boots back up. If I shutdown, it'll go off for 3-5-ish seconds before spinning up again. If it goes to sleep, it seems to crash completely and boots fresh. I worry these are symptoms of a larger issue and I might be doing damage to the rest of my hardware.

Following some other forums, they suggested disabling Hibernate/Fast Boot but that's already disabled on my system. I'm not sure if there are drivers I need or something I need to do with the Motherboard with the new hardware. I wasn't able to find any settings in the BIOS. BIOS version was out-of-date so I updated to latest version but still having perma-boot up issue.

I enabled ErP in the BIOS. Now, when I shutdown, it stays shut down. When I put the PC to sleep though, it still does a full restart (assuming crash and boot). If I disable ErP again, the perma-booting happens with both.

Any and all help is much appreciated!

Solution
Problems with shutting down and standby are often caused by bad 5VSB rail. It could also be that your failing 700B damaged some of the stuff powered from 5VSB.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The paperclip test does not truly state the condition of the PSU, since you're advised to induce a load on the PSU, the test doesn't indicate how much power it can effectively output for the entire system. So even horrible PSU's can operate on a paperclip test.

How old is the Corsair PSU? Mind stating what version of BIOS you're on at the time of writing for your motherboard? What version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you on? Mind sharing a screenshot of your APM section of the BIOS?