[SOLVED] PC won't stop booting EFI Shell and won't boot OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 16, 2020
First things first, I want to apologise if this is in the wrong place. This is my first time posting and my brain is already frazzled from this issue.

I recently had an issue with my PC where it turned off and wouldn't turn back on. Like, no fans spinning or lights when the power button was pressed. I checked all of my hardware to make sure it wasn't them. I concluded that it was a motherboard issue and found a replacement of the same make and model. When it arrived, all I had to do was swap everything over, which I did, and made sure everything went in correctly. I also removed the CMOS battery from the new motherboard for about 5 mins while I took everything off my old one to make sure the BIOS was set to it's default before using it. Unfortunately, with the new motherboard, I was still having the same problem. I then bought a new PSU because I had no clue what else could have been the problem despite the old one not showing any problems, even with a volt meter. This seemed to have fixed it. But now when it starts up, it keeps booting into EFI Shell. I've followed other threads on this forum and others to make sure my PC would boot from the HDD, but it would still boot to Shell. I even tried my old motherboard and that was having this issue. I even made sure both BIOS systems were 100% up to date, tried plugging the SATA cable for the HDD into other SATA ports with no luck, and replaced the CMOS battery.

Any suggestions on what I should do? All help very welcome.

Specs (if they're any use):
Motherboard: MSI A68HM Grenade
CPU: AMD A10-6800K APU
RAM: 16Gb (2x 8Gb Sticks)
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 TI 2Gb
My new PSU: Xigmatek Tauro Power Force M+700W 80 Plus BRONZE PSU
HDD: Seagate Desktop HDD 1000Gb (1Tb)

Solution
Dead HDD? Got any way to test the drive in a 2nd machine?
Can you boot from a bootable flash drive? Disk, if you have a optical drive?
Basically, try booting to anything else that you can find that is bootable. If the boot drive is dead the system will always default to the UEFI BIOS.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Dead HDD? Got any way to test the drive in a 2nd machine?
Can you boot from a bootable flash drive? Disk, if you have a optical drive?
Basically, try booting to anything else that you can find that is bootable. If the boot drive is dead the system will always default to the UEFI BIOS.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.