Pc won't switch to correct graphics card.

InfectedDonor

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017
hello, I've recently reinstalled my pc and have the following problem : it won't switch to different graphics card, I have an intel hd graphics integrated and an amd radeon one for games and stuff, both have newest drivers, I've installed all the windows updates and still, when i open a game it keeps using the intel card which really pisses me off because i can't play much on it and uh i have no idea how to fix that since i haven't had problems like that before.

here are my pc specs :
toshiba SATELLITE L50-B
intel i7 4510U
8 ram
and of course 2 gpu's : intel hd 4400 and an AMD radeon r7 m260

Solution
Vitrualization is a CPU setting that you should leave turned off. It's designed for people who want to run multiple OSes at once for servers and stuff.

I want to go over a couple of things before you go to customer service though.

Go to Device Manager and look at Display Adapters. Does it show both or only the Intel GPU?

If it shows both, you should go to the AMD Radeon Settings. Go to 'system', and then Switchable Graphics. You can choose which application uses which GPU here.

Although this solution may be a little cumbersome, it's actually pretty great because it allows the system to save more power under low load.

MasterMadBones

Distinguished
You have to enter the BIOS to set your new GPU as the default. I can't really guide you as to how to get there or what to do when you're there because that's different for each motherboard. You'll probably have to hit DEL, F10 or F1 during startup though.

InfectedDonor

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017

I think that the pic should give you enough info about the bios, I tried there as well but i see absolutely no information about video cards, guess i might be blind idk, but im pretty sure i took a look at every possible option and it didn't seem to be connected to video cards by any means
url]

https://imgur.com/a/Q6QKXiY

MasterMadBones

Distinguished
It can be pretty obscure sometimes, but try to look for something like VGA. It may be in the chipset settings or some other weird spot (I have seen the strangest of places) but it should be there. If it isn't, it probably means that Toshiba locked a few settings. It's best to try and contact their customer support in that case.

I seem to be having issues finding attached images, not sure if you actually included any or I'm just blind. I haven't been active on the forums for a while...

InfectedDonor

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017

It's one pic of my system info, im pretty sure i attached it but whatever, im kind of retarded but you should see it now. And ok, I'll take another look, but I'm pretty sure that i will have to contact their support cuz I didn't spot anything there. Ima edit that when i double check.

EDIT : Well, the only thing i got that's getting close to graphics is some Virtualization technology options. It has 2 options : Disabled or VT-x only, whatever that means. I tried both disabling and enabling it, but honestly I don't see any difference.

MasterMadBones

Distinguished
Vitrualization is a CPU setting that you should leave turned off. It's designed for people who want to run multiple OSes at once for servers and stuff.

I want to go over a couple of things before you go to customer service though.

Go to Device Manager and look at Display Adapters. Does it show both or only the Intel GPU?

If it shows both, you should go to the AMD Radeon Settings. Go to 'system', and then Switchable Graphics. You can choose which application uses which GPU here.

Although this solution may be a little cumbersome, it's actually pretty great because it allows the system to save more power under low load.

Solution

InfectedDonor

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017

Yes, it does show both of them, and about the radeon setting, I've done that a long time ago, but they still don't seem to switch.

Here, check for yourself.
https://imgur.com/a/E3oz8qi

MasterMadBones

Distinguished
Ah, I see you're trying to play Minecraft, but Minecraft itself runs on javaw.exe instead of minecraft.exe.

As for the Minecraft Windows 10 Edition, I'm not sure what display settings are actually used by Store apps. It's probably running in full screen windowed mode, which may prevent the system from switching to the correct GPU.

InfectedDonor

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017

pf those arent the games i wanna play kek xdd i downloaded mc because its the only game that came to my mind that shows me which gpu it uses, but i have some steam game as well which doesnt show here for some reason, which is running really poor as well

InfectedDonor

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017

yo it actually did the job, thank ya!