[SOLVED] PC wont turn off other than GPU - RESOLVED

Dayzzz

Reputable
Jul 18, 2019
Hi,

Just built a new PC, and i'm seeing very weird behaviour that i've never encountered before.
When i click on Shut down from windows, nothing shuts down - well, othe than the GPU.

the case fans are on, the CPU fan is on, seems like the PC is still on, the screen doesnt show anything coz the GPU i'm using was turned off.

My specs are:
  • MB - B550 Aorus Elite
  • CPU - Ryzen 5600x with stock cooler
  • GPU - EVGA rtx 3060
  • Case - Antec nx410
if you need anymore details please let me know
using Windows 10 pro.

What i've tried so far:
  1. updating to the most recent version of windows - although i didnt want to :) not updates left
  2. updated MB chipset
  3. Updated BIOS to the most recent version
  4. googled for answers, tried turning off fast startup option
  5. ran sfc scannow - it said it found some corrupted and fixed them, but didnt help
  6. tried to shutdown from command using an admin right, used shutdown /p

I feel like its something in the BIOS, but i cant find anything, did anyone encounter this?
its driving me crazy!

Many thanks in advace,

Last edited:
Solution
Wait, did you just slap in your old copy of Windows? Quite worried about the reference to "upgrading to the latest Windows" in a new build.
Dont know what you mean by "slap an old copy", i had a windows installation on a diskonkey, i installed it, and i used a new product key that i bought.
By upgrading i meant updating :) just windows update...

in anyway, it seems to be resolved now.
i ran a BIOS update twice, after the 2nd time it worked, it now shuts down successfully from windows.
so it was a MB issue.

thank you both!

Ralston18

Titan
New build: double check the motherboard and front panel connections.

Use the motherboard's User Guide/Manual and the Antec case documentation to ensure that all connectors are correctly and fully connected.

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b550-aorus-elite-ax_e.pdf

[Do verify that I found the correct User Manual.]

Look on physically numbered Page 19, Paragraph 11, F_PANEL

If all seems well then read back through the User Manual to check all other connections.

Also, what PSU are you using? Did you mix and match any cables from an older PSU?

Reactions: Dayzzz

Dayzzz

Reputable
Jul 18, 2019
Wait, did you just slap in your old copy of Windows? Quite worried about the reference to "upgrading to the latest Windows" in a new build.
Dont know what you mean by "slap an old copy", i had a windows installation on a diskonkey, i installed it, and i used a new product key that i bought.
By upgrading i meant updating :) just windows update...

in anyway, it seems to be resolved now.
i ran a BIOS update twice, after the 2nd time it worked, it now shuts down successfully from windows.
so it was a MB issue.

thank you both!

Reactions: helper800
Solution