Question Pc won't turn off with power button and display won't work after cpu upgrade

Jan 17, 2023
I replaced my CPU and now power button nor display will work

I upgraded my buddy's pc to a 5600x a while back and had the issue where we wouldn't get a display. This was because the bios wasn't updated to support the cpu

Now I upgraded my CPU just there and I was sure to upddate my bios when upgrading so I did that and upgraded the CPU, the power button works when turning on the pc but doesn't work when I try to turn it off, and no display is coming out of the pc

I think that this issue is because I haven't updated the chipset drivers on the motherboard but I'm not sure if it would cause this. Help would be appreciated. Thx

Reactions: jnjnilson6

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Shouldn't matter. What was the old CPU? What is the motherboard? What are you using for graphics output?

Not sure if your phrasing makes sense. You did update the BIOS on this motherboard to work with the new CPU?

Drivers won't matter until it starts to boot, you should still be able to get in the BIOS with a working CPU/Motherboard/Memory/GPU.

Jan 17, 2023
Old cpu is a 3 1300x, motherboard is a b450m ds3h my gpu is a 780ti which was working as of the cpu upgrade as I ran the pc beforehand to warm up the cpu so I could take off the cooler easier. I updated the bios with the 1300x to the newest version which supports the CPU. The pc turns off but my monitor nor my TV can detect an output. When I try to hold the power button to turn the pc off, it won't turn off, I have to switch it off using the switch on the PSU (but the power button works when turning the pc in)