Question PC won't turn on after a power outage ? *Assume when power came back on*

KeyFar

Prominent
Oct 1, 2021
So, yesterday my house was having power outage, everything turn off, and when it back on, i notice something unusual, usually my motherboard and vga light is on, so i tried to run my pc back, it's only turning the light on my vga (only the light, not even the fan) and motherboard, but not my entire pc, i tried reconnecting psu cable, still not working, and so the power switch.. any idea?

I'm assuming it's gonna be the pw switch cable on the case, but i tried jump start directly from motherboard, it's still not working. i might do it wrongly, but when i read the manual (and couple of yt vids) it seems correct.

Mb: Asus rog strix b450 f
Vga: Asus rog rtx 2060 S
(Related)I put this here bcz mostly when your pc off the light will always on so yeah.

And sorry if it's on the wrong category

DSzymborski

Titan
The power switch cable would be the last thing for it to be. And shorting the motherboard pins indicates that's it's definitely not the problem.

Most likely problem is the PSU is dead.

What do you mean by "when your PC off the light will always on so yeah?" I cannot parse that at all.

Might be more issues, but getting your full specs is the basic first step of diagnosing a PC. It slows down the process and makes it less accurate if we have to play guessing games about your hardware and any time another issue or question pops up with this problem, we have to bring everything to a halt to ask you what the hardware is. It's no different than when they take all your basic measurements and data when you're act the doctor's office.

KeyFar

Prominent
Oct 1, 2021
The power switch cable would be the last thing for it to be. And shorting the motherboard pins indicates that's it's definitely not the problem.

Most likely problem is the PSU is dead.

What do you mean by "when your PC off the light will always on so yeah?" I cannot parse that at all.

Might be more issues, but getting your full specs is the basic first step of diagnosing a PC. It slows down the process and makes it less accurate if we have to play guessing games about your hardware and any time another issue or question pops up with this problem, we have to bring everything to a halt to ask you what the hardware is. It's no different than when they take all your basic measurements and data when you're act the doctor's office.

Also it's not entirely dead like i said before, the light still there (vga&mb), it just that it doesn't want to turn on

KeyFar

Prominent
Oct 1, 2021
wdym swap out and "old one"? Do you mean cables or entire psu? If cables, I'll try it, even tho i dont know much of it, but I'll research. if it's psu, don't have replacement yet, I'm kinda afraid to buy new one, because it might not be psu :(, and i need to fix electricity's problem in my house, because it might happens again in the future.

DSzymborski

Titan
wdym swap out and "old one"? Do you mean cables or entire psu? If cables, I'll try it, even tho i dont know much of it, but I'll research. if it's psu, don't have replacement yet, I'm kinda afraid to buy new one, because it might not be psu :(, and i need to fix electricity's problem in my house, because it might happens again in the future.

Sorry, I meant a different one. Full PSU. Cables aren't universal and it's unlikely that the cables are the problem.

KeyFar

Prominent
Oct 1, 2021
Sorry, I meant a different one. Full PSU. Cables aren't universal and it's unlikely that the cables are the problem.

Sorry for came back to the thread, do you think it's really psu the problem? I found the replacement, but still asking myself, is it really psu the problem? The light still there (vga&mb), is dead psu normally do that? Like the light still on?

Replacement is NZXT C650 Gold, just incase i do an upgrade to the cpu&mb.

Just wondering if your looking too deep for the answer , a pc's mobo and other light stay on when a pc is turned off because they feed off power from a wall socket.
Try this ... unplug you pc from the wall and remove the power supply study the case of the psu and you may see 1 or more round cones that contain internal fuses , they may have blown.
Cables and home appliances only usually fail when power comes back on and a surge of excess voltage enters your property , the clue that this happens is if your room lights went overly bright when the power comes back on.

KeyFar

Prominent
Oct 1, 2021
Cables and home appliances only usually fail when power comes back on and a surge of excess voltage enters your property , the clue that this happens is if your room lights went overly bright when the power comes back on.
I think this is the cause, because some of lamp in my home have been broke a lot recently (like burning, but it fixed now). And I think my pc doesn't turn on after the electric went back.. I don't look for the light at the time power back on, so it might happens when i'm not home, i should' use ups. Sorry, my english terrible.

Ps: electricity in my home fix after 1/2 day of the incident.

KeyFar

Prominent
Oct 1, 2021
Does that mean it's a big chance that cables are the culprit? The one I'm highly suspect is the case power switch, but hey, I'm not a pro so i would like to try some suggestions ✌️.

Mar 28, 2023
Check Your Power Source
To test, remove any power strips, battery backups, or other power sources, and plug your computer into a wall outlet. If your computer starts after doing this, a surge may have fried whatever power source you were using and will need to be reset or replaced.

KeyFar

Prominent
Oct 1, 2021
Tested the PSU it's still working, tried jumpstart it, and it still spinning. Is it possible that motherboard power switch pin we're broken?

My first assumption still the cable.

KeyFar

Prominent
Oct 1, 2021
The power switch cable from the case seems still working, because when i press it, the light on motherboard turn on, but no respond from vga fans etc... could it be motherboard?

DSzymborski

Titan
Bumping is against the rules. Do it again and this thread will be closed.

I don't see anything new. Testing a new PSU was the next step of diagnostics. There's nothing new here; it's extremely unlikely to be a cable, and a few things spinning doesn't mean the PSU is working properly. Given you had a power problem at your house, this is a necessary step, and if you just don't do it, then any attempt to figure out this problem is at a dead end and you may as well just bring the PC into a shop.