PC won't turn on after BSOD: "BAD_POOL_CALLER" HELP!

k0enf0rNL

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
Hello,

I woke up this morning and turned my PC on like always. It started fine and i opened chrome and OSBuddy(tool for runescape). OSbuddy started updating and on chrome i was watching some youtube.
All of a sudden I got a BSOD(first one in 6 months) saying BAD_POOL_CALLER(Can anyone explain why i got this and what it says?). I let it collect its data so i could watch it later. It said 100% so i turned the PC off. I tried to turn the pc back on but nothing happened, looked like the power button wasnt connected to the mobo.

It doesnt seem like anything is fried and I dont smell anything odd.

Please HELP!!!!

k0enf0rNL

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014

It didnt work. I also unplugged everything and just plugged in the cpu and mobo. Its still not turning on. The problem is with the PSU or the MOBO.

It seems then that something failed in hardware somewhere which triggered the BAD_POOL_REQUEST. Because of the type of failure you're right in that it's most likely either the MOBO or the PSU, and the fact you were updating the drivers is only coincidental. One last possibility is the physical power switch failed. (I've had that happen before... very frustrating to say the least since you normally don't expect that!)

What you could try is testing the switches. If you have a front panel main power switch AND a soft-reset switch, swap those and try to turn it on via the reset switch. They both work the same these days. If it works, you have a bad switch.

Next, since it won't power on, test the PSU. Take the main 24pin connector off the motherboard, and using an unbent paper clip in a U-shape, on the PSU 24pin, find the green wire plug (near the middle), and jump that via paperclip to any black ground wire pin (while the PSU is plugged in obviously). If the PSU doesn't start up, it is certainly the PSU. If the PSU does fire up, it -might- be OK, and it could be a MOBO issue.

Either way, you'll need a secondary PSU to test for MOBO operation. If the MOBO fires up, then it IS the PSU. If it doesn't then it's obviously the MOBO.