Apr 13, 2020
Just built my tower all components costed around $2500 and it wont turn on! I made sure all the connectors were connected, My PSU is plugged in and turned on, front panel connectors are connected properly, CPU and 24-Pin cables are connected, I figured it might be a BIOS issue so I installed the latest version from MSIs website and put it on a USB Drive and tried to do Flash BiOS update and the lights wont turn on..

Specs
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
NVIDIA GTX 2060 GPU
CORSAIR 650x PSU
32GB (2x16GB Patriot Viper Sticks DDR4)
MSI B540 Tomahawk MAX Motherboard

My motherboard should be compatible with the Ryzen 7 3800x series

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated

getting really frustrated here

Last edited:
Solution
@rbasaam Have you disconnected all cables/devices except power from the PSU to the motherboard, DVI-D video to monitor and tried turning it on? What's the result?

If you get no result, check to make sure your memory is installed properly, and make sure no pins on the CPU socket are bent.

Still no result then swap the PSU out for another.
Still no result after using a known good PSU, return the motherboard. You might want to contact MSI and see if the motherboard will power and POST without a CPU and memory in it.
Apr 13, 2020
Like how? No respons at all? Does fans spin? Any beep sounds?

Absolutely no response, no led indicators light up, no fans spin..so i figured that the motherboard isnt getting any/enough power but the PSU and all the cables are brand new, I unplugged my front panel connectors and tried to short the power switch pins manually and still nothing... at this point my only explanation is that i need a new PSU but you know with this whole quarantine i cant take it to a shop to test out a different PSU (theyre all closed) and I dont have more money to buy another one

Could there be any other problem that would lead to a no response like that

PS I thought it could be the bios and my motherboard has a flashback BIOS feature but even when i tried that no led indicator lights up as it should. So far the best bet is the PSU but im still relatively new at this so any other suggestions would greatly be appreciated!

Apr 13, 2020
PSU seems to be on the short list. Also have a look for any on/off switches near the main input, as it could inadvertly be pushed to off position. As stupid as it sounds, it have actually happens to me.

Ya its happened to me before too, that CPU pin header too its so easy to overlook but anyways I appreciate your help man ill call some friends maybe i can borrow their PSU to test out in the meantime.

Thanks for your quick response though! Really appreciate man

Apr 18, 2019
how did you flash your bios? do you know if it actually flashed? because your b450 motherboard wouldn't support ryzen 3000 without a bios flash. plus please be super careful when flashing your bios because if your computer loses power mid flash your new flashy board becomes a brick with a bunch of sockets.

dingo07

Distinguished
@rbasaam Have you disconnected all cables/devices except power from the PSU to the motherboard, DVI-D video to monitor and tried turning it on? What's the result?

If you get no result, check to make sure your memory is installed properly, and make sure no pins on the CPU socket are bent.

Still no result then swap the PSU out for another.
Still no result after using a known good PSU, return the motherboard. You might want to contact MSI and see if the motherboard will power and POST without a CPU and memory in it.

Solution
Apr 13, 2020
UPDATE

I tried out my friends PSU with the motherboard only connected to power with the 24 pin main and 8 pin cpu and shorted the 2 pins that would otherwise be connected to power button on the front panel AND THE FAN IS SPINNING so thankfully it was the PSU... It's strange but just my luck I guess I got a bad one, thankfully theyre replacing my defective part with another at no additional cost so tomorrow I should be getting it..

Thank you to everyone for your help!

Will post a picture of the full set up once its up and running!

Reactions: dingo07
Apr 13, 2020
https://ibb.co/fx9pVm4
Image link

Also, my case fans dont spin or at least I havent witnessed it due so yet, I wanna know if theyre not spinning when it should be or if maybe my system hasn't been hot enough to trigger them on

Is there a way I can configure them to maybe always spin at a low speed
even when the system isnt over heated so that I can see if they spin or no.

https://ibb.co/fx9pVm4
Image link

Also, my case fans dont spin or at least I havent witnessed it due so yet, I wanna know if theyre not spinning when it should be or if maybe my system hasn't been hot enough to trigger them on

Is there a way I can configure them to maybe always spin at a low speed
even when the system isnt over heated so that I can see if they spin or no.
Please make another thread on this, as it is unrelated to your first post. Also, you've mention absolutely nothing about the cabinet and the current setup.

TRENDING THREADS