Question PC won't turn on after crash

TMCThomas

Honorable
Jun 12, 2016
Hey my friend recently had his pc crash (no error whatsoever, just turned off) Now when he tries to turn it on the motherboard lights briefly turn on (both the rgb and a quick flash of all the debug lights) after which it turns off again. Interestingly the gpu fans do spin up briefly, the other fans don't. He has already tried to remove all conected devices and reseated the cables in the pc. Any idea what the issue could be? I'm currently assuming the cheap looking psu could be the issue. Would love to hear what you guys think before I head over.

Specs:
CPU: ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: Tomahawk b450 max
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 6600 XT GAMING OC 8G
Ram: Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 4x8GB 3200 C16
PSU: 650w I remember it being a vague brand without 80plus rating, it's also at least 5 years old. Will have to look this up when
Case: Corsair 110Q Quiet Mid Tower

Video of what happens when powering the pc on:

https://youtube.com/shorts/oPLvxEX7WUU

Ralston18

Titan
A PSU that old and of unknown pedigree is indeed a prime suspect. Especially if heavily used for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining.

My suggestion is to power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris. (The video appears to show lots of accumlated dust and build ups can be problematic.)

Verify for yourself that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

Try booting into safe mode.

Reactions: TMCThomas

TMCThomas

Honorable
Jun 12, 2016
Some cleaning and reseating didn't do the job so we decided to order a new psu. The old PSU was an Ewent psu which actually turned out to be 11 years old. After replacing it the systems works fine again. Thanks for the help!