PC won't turn on after installing new CPU and motherboard

Tekniik

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016
3 weeks ago I bought an i7 7700k. After installing it (z170xp motherboard) and turning on the PC lights and fans would turn on for 5-10 seconds and then turn off. I didn't touch anything else so I know it's either the motherboard or CPU that's the issue. Having spent most of my money on a new CPU I bought a cheap motherboard because I thought that was the issue. After installing the new motherboard (GA h110m-a) With the new CPU my PC won't turn on at all now. Frustrated to hell I used Amazon Returns to send my CPU back and they gave me a new one. After installing the new i7 7700 same thing is happening. PC won't turn on at all.

I know it's not the PSU because it works with the paper clip test. I borrowed my friends gpu to make sure it's not that but it gave me the same results. I checked my RAM. Reseated every cable. Now I don't know what to do. I even tried putting in my old CPU (i5 6500) to see if that will help but it still didn't.

My system specs are
I7 7700k CPU
GA H110m-a motherboard
Corsair CX750 PSU
R9 390 GPU

Let me know if you guys need any more info.

Solution
that is a bios problem, you will need to upgrade the bios by downloading them from Asus's website and then copy it to a USB flash drive. then plug it in your mobo with a skylake cpu installed. you will need a 6'th generation skylake Core/Celeron/Pentium series CPU for this task
H110,,Z170, and B150 mobos need a BIOS update to support a Kaby Lake

Only way you can do that is you'll have to buy or borrow a Skylake cpu flash the bios. Install the Kaby Lake

Or take it to a shop. Or replace it with a B250 / Z270 mobo. Which will be more compatible

Charlie28

Honorable
Oct 13, 2014
Your i7 7700k is not compatible with either of those motherboards without making adjustments. They are designed to be used with the Intel 200/1001 series chipset motherboards like a Z270 for example. Your old CPU should work with that motherboard though.

You should always check on pcpartpicker when upgrading to be sure.

Gaurav_40

Honorable
Mar 13, 2017
that is a bios problem, you will need to upgrade the bios by downloading them from Asus's website and then copy it to a USB flash drive. then plug it in your mobo with a skylake cpu installed. you will need a 6'th generation skylake Core/Celeron/Pentium series CPU for this task

Solution

TRENDING THREADS