Pc wont turn on after it worked fine

UltimateRush

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017
Hi. I built up a pc myself. Took a while but got it working. I saw the case was a mess so I took off side panels do I could fit the ODD and screw in the SDD. Now here I come to turn it on and it magically does not turn on. I had windows already installed and was using the pc for good 3 days. I have a z170 motherboard. Now I have a feeling that the screws I had tried to screw in the HDD had fallen out. Could that be a reason it doesnt turn on anymore? On the motherboard, the CPU_LED light stays red, then jumps to the ram led and then pc shuts off. From what i understand, there is an issue with ram.. but how could that be if I was using the system and all worked fine?? Pls help

Solution
Red led goes to CPU , then to RAM and then the pc shutdowns? If this is the case, then try checking your PSU. If RAM was the problem then the pc would remain open and the RAM led would remain open, in no case the pc would shutdown itself. If it isn't the PSU i would suspect the motherboard.

You could try to remove the CMOS battery for 30 secs and then insert it again. This is a CMOS reset and it may help you. Actually, try this first!
If you have 2 sticks of RAM remove one and test. Then try swaping them out to test with just the other. RAM can be defective. You may just need the RAM reseated. If that doesn't work try resetting the bios. You my need to unplug from the wall and pull the motherboard battery for 5 minutes.

UltimateRush

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017

I tested out each RAM - that didnt work. From all of this, does it look like its RAMs fault? How do I get into bios if my monitor doesnt turn on?

slyverine

Reputable
Mar 4, 2016
Red led goes to CPU , then to RAM and then the pc shutdowns? If this is the case, then try checking your PSU. If RAM was the problem then the pc would remain open and the RAM led would remain open, in no case the pc would shutdown itself. If it isn't the PSU i would suspect the motherboard.

You could try to remove the CMOS battery for 30 secs and then insert it again. This is a CMOS reset and it may help you. Actually, try this first!

Solution

slyverine

Reputable
Mar 4, 2016

No need to remove any cable. Just have your pc shut off of course, remove the battery and leave it out for 30 seconds.

Its about impossible to get 2 sticks of RAM to go bad at the same time. Its something else. Check to see if your motherboard is grounding on the case. Only thing you need to do with removing the batter is unplug from the wall outlet. This should be done for any work inside your PC. If this doesn't help unplug your drives and test trying just to get bios.

Testing for grounding by unbolting your motherboard and take it with everything out of the case. Set the motherboard on the motherboard box so it cant ground. Then if it works you know it was grounding in the case. To attempt to fix that you would need to purchase plastic standoffs for about $3.

UltimateRush

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017
Actually, im such a noob.. i restarted the pc and all i had to do was change the background picture. Again, thanks to all for help!! Taking out the battery seemed to fix the trick!