Question PC won't turn on after moving it to another room ?

Sep 5, 2022
Hi guys,

Yesterday I moved my PC from my bedroom to my living room, and it would not turn on. I had been noticing that whenever I would unplug everything and move it from A to B in the past, that upon first button press it wouldn't not turn on. But usually after leaving it for some time like 20 minutes it would eventually turn on. However, this time, it is not turning on whatsoever. It's been two days, here is what I've tried:

• I bought a new PSU, fitted it and the issue STILL persists.
  • Re-seated the CMOS battery after removing it and waiting for 15 minutes.
  • Used the jumper cap to short pin2 and pin3 on CLRCMOS1 for 5 seconds as instructed by my motherboard manual to reset the CMOS to default.
  • Tried removing both sticks of RAM.
  • Tried using different RAM.
  • Tried draining residual power and waiting overnight, still nothing.
  • Tried the screwdriver trick to jump start the mobo without the need for a power button. Doesn't work.
My motherboard is the ASRock Z97 Pro4
My CPU is the Intel i5-4690k

This is the weird thing, when I plug my keyboard in, the LED's flash up and also when I plug an Xbox controller in it lights up and vibrates, indicating that the peripherals are actually being powered.

Also, sometimes when I press the power button. the CPU fan and case fan spin for about 2 seconds then shut off. Nothing after that.

What do you guys think?

Sep 5, 2022
the only thing that normaly gets disloged when moving stuff I find is the GPU have you tried taking it out and putting it back in.

I have done. I've triedreseating the GPU and booting without it being installed at all. All though if it were GPU related, I'd expect to hear some beep codes coming from my mobo speaker. The fact that the computer simply doesn't turn on AT ALL indicates something deeper I think.

Sep 5, 2022
How about the PSU fan --- does that spin or not at all ?

No, it's mental. I just switched the CPU for an identical working i5-4690k and still the same thing is happening. I refuse to believe two PSU's are faulty, one being brand new. I've tried different sockets around my home and the same thing is happening. I'm absolutely baffled.

The PSU fans do not spin for the 2 seconds but the case fan and CPU fan do.

Last edited: