[SOLVED] PC won't turn on after powercut..

Sep 24, 2020
Hey Guys,

I came here many years ago for advice on building a PC, unfortunately after a very short powercut yesterday my build PC refused to turn back on. Assuming it was the PSU I bought another one that arrived today. Plugged it into the motherboard/GPU/Harddrive and CPU cables but nothing :( Its come at the worst time as I start University next week and I have no idea how to troubleshoot what's actually broken.. The PC has been through hundreds of power cuts and has been fine so I assumed it was just the PSU kicking it finally. Any advice is really appreciated, really need to try troubleshoot and im not really in a place to build a whole new PC currently unfortunately.

Cheers, Jed.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020
Sep 24, 2020
Sounds daft but are you using the mains cable that came from the new psu or the old one??

Fuse may have gone in the plug if you are using the old one.

Hey mate, not daft at all i did that originally but i switched it for the new one and still nothing :( Will the psu fan only work if its connected to a working motherboard?

Hey mate, not daft at all i did that originally but i switched it for the new one and still nothing :( Will the psu fan only work if its connected to a working motherboard?

Pretty much yes, board controls pins on the 24 pin cable and creates a short when the case button is pressed to start the psu proper.

If the boards dead this won't happen.

What area are you in that keeps getting power cuts?? Fairly unusual in the uk tbh apart from in winter!

Sep 24, 2020
Pretty much yes, board controls pins on the 24 pin cable and creates a short when the case button is pressed to start the psu proper.

If the boards dead this won't happen.

What area are you in that keeps getting power cuts?? Fairly unusual in the uk tbh apart from in winter!

Ahh i see, so its definitely a broken motherboard with the potential of being a broken motherboard AND cpu?

Essex mate, countryside so it happens hear and there but the powercuts i refer to are over a 5 year period, i would normally turn the power to the PSU off during a powercut but because its never affected the PC i didn't bother stupidly.

Just did this and the old PSU worked fine, im gonna assume the new one works fine so i don't bother with that. Any videos on how to jump a motherboard? haha! thanks for the recommendation mate.
You're welcome....as I said...MB would be my first suspect....you are pressing power button....MB should tell PSU to come on and it's not.....of course it could always be the button....but this would be more unusual than the MB in my experience.

Sep 24, 2020
You're welcome....as I said...MB would be my first suspect....you are pressing power button....MB should tell PSU to come on and it's not.....of course it could always be the button....but this would be more unusual than the MB in my experience.

Just ordered a new one! have been meaning to replace for ages now so fingers crossed thats all thats broken. If it is indeed the button would that be a case replacement? that would suck if so as they dont make it any more :(

Just ordered a new one! have been meaning to replace for ages now so fingers crossed thats all thats broken. If it is indeed the button would that be a case replacement? that would suck if so as they dont make it any more :(
As far as the button (switch)....you can use any momentary switch connected to those two wires....so no need for case replacement....it may not look the same though.

Where did you source a board from?? Haswell boards are really hard to find in my experience?!?!

Doubtful it's the case button, there's not really anything to break.

You joked about jumping the board but that's actually exactly what the case power button does.

Front panel connector bottom right, there are 2 pins that are power + and power -, the cable from the case power button just shorts these when pressed.

You can touch a screwdriver between the 2 pins for the same effect, takes the case out of the equation (as already said that's massively unlikely anyway)[/QUOTE]

Sep 24, 2020
Where did you source a board from?? Haswell boards are really hard to find in my experience?!?!

Doubtful it's the case button, there's not really anything to break.

You joked about jumping the board but that's actually exactly what the case power button does.

Front panel connector bottom right, there are 2 pins that are power + and power -, the cable from the case power button just shorts these when pressed.

You can touch a screwdriver between the 2 pins for the same effect, takes the case out of the equation (as already said that's massively unlikely anyway)
[/QUOTE]

Oh you've just reminded me how old my CPU is meaning the motherboard i want wont work with it :( im trying to get one delivered tomorrow so if you have any advice for me please share! although saying they are hard to source is upsetting news.

Wow i didn't think it was possible! ill have a look and might attempt it, although i do want a new motherboard anyways

Oh you've just reminded me how old my CPU is meaning the motherboard i want wont work with it :( im trying to get one delivered tomorrow so if you have any advice for me please share! although saying they are hard to source is upsetting news.

Wow i didn't think it was possible! ill have a look and might attempt it, although i do want a new motherboard anyways
[/QUOTE]

Looks like pcupgrade 'may' have some in stock but they tend to be refueb or returned boards.

http://www.pcupgrade.co.uk/category.asp?categoryid=711

Past that though its eBay, getting one delivered tomorrow though? No that's not really going to happen :-/

Sep 24, 2020

Looks like pcupgrade 'may' have some in stock but they tend to be refueb or returned boards.

http://www.pcupgrade.co.uk/category.asp?categoryid=711

Past that though its eBay, getting one delivered tomorrow though? No that's not really going to happen :-/
[/QUOTE]

Think its time for a new CPU then and keep the old one spare! Is there a chance the powercut busted my harddrive? im not finding bootable device on my BIOS anymore :(