Question PC wont turn on and showing a red light, any advice?

Apr 12, 2019
Hey everyone,

So yesterday I had my computer on and then absolutely conked out for 2 hours and when I came back to my computer, it seemed to still be on as if it hadn't even gone to sleep, but the monitors had shut off and my computer wasn't responding at all. I used the power button to turn it off, thinking I could just restart it, but since that moment it hasnt been able to turn back on and the only sign of life is an ever present red light next to the power button whenever my power supply is turned on. Because of this and the fact that I tried a few different cords for the power supply, I don't think its a power issue, though I could be wrong. Current guess is either motherboard or CPU, but that seems pretty broad. If anyone has any idea what the problem might be, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch

-Declan

Computer specs:

CPU: Intel i5-6400
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170N
Power Supply: EVGA 600B Bronze
GPU: Saphire Radeon R9 380

Apr 12, 2019
Hi, Try testing the power supply:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4

See if a fan connected to it does spin.

First off, thank you very much for getting back, I appreciate the help. I tested the power supply; it seems to be working fine. Which is good but also that means I have no idea what the problem is or what the next step would be. Any ideas? Thanks again for all the help.

You're welcome.
Try leaving only CPU and CPU fan installed, both 24 and 8 pin power cables connected. No other components, or wires.
Start the board by shorting the 2 pins where you disconnected the power button wires and see if the CPU fan does spin.
If it doesn't, try disconnecting the 8 pin power cable and connecting a case fan to the board. Start it and see if the case fan does spin.
If still no go, I'd suspect the motherboard.

Apr 12, 2019
You're welcome.
Try leaving only CPU and CPU fan installed, both 24 and 8 pin power cables connected. No other components, or wires.
Start the board by shorting the 2 pins where you disconnected the power button wires and see if the CPU fan does spin.
If it doesn't, try disconnecting the 8 pin power cable and connecting a case fan to the board. Start it and see if the case fan does spin.
If still no go, I'd suspect the motherboard.

Alright, tried doing both of those with no luck, so I guess it’s probably the motherboard. Is there any way to save this motherboard or am I going to have to replace it?