PC wont turn on. Fans spin briefly but then stop

simondodd

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
OK so I have cobbled together a machine with a supernova Nex750G power supply, Asus Sabretooth 990FX Rev2 MB, and a R280 Sapphire graphics card...

The machine will boot to the BIOS or a USB bootable windows installation fine but when I plug in a hard drive the machine will not turn on. The fans all spin for a second and then it just stops. I have to unplug the power supply from the wall and then plug it back in to get it to boot. It's a brand new SSD drive as well so that isn't the issue. Any ideas...?

simondodd

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
Yep, power cable from PSU to MB, from PSU to graphics card and PSU to SSD. I've tried removing the graphics card as well to see if that is pushing the PSU over the edge...

Right here would be my solution:
Unplug the SSD to change the boot from USB to SSD or SATA.
Then plug in the SSD and then put your OS CD into the disk drive. Press a random key on the keyboard and it should boot to the CD. :)

simondodd

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
That's not really a solution though... If I plug in any sort of hard drive SSD or not to the power supply the machine fails to turn on... Basically I have a machine that can't have a hard drive!

Get a replacement on your mobo then. The SATA connectors must be broken or something. That's all I can really say mate. Sorry

simondodd

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
No worries, thanks for the help. I'm pretty sure its a problem with the SATA connectors on the PSU... I've managed to dig out an old external SATA adapter that I am now using to power the SSD while still connecting the data lead to the MB and it seems to be working so far... Will find out when this USB boot gets to the installation screen to see if it can see the hard drive :) Fingers crossed eh!

Thanks for your advice though :)

simondodd

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
Whoop whoop! It seems to be working! Now I've just got the tedious task of installing windows 7 and going through the 50,000 updates! haha Thanks again for your help