PC won't turn on, first crashed mid-GPU driver installation, now won't get past BIOS

May 7, 2018
As the title says, after I tried installing the drivers for my GPU (GTX 1050 Ti) my computer turned off, odd because my power didn't die or anything, then I tried rebooting and now my PC won't get to the BIOS to the point I can't even use it, want to know if there is a solution for this

I have an i5 7400 CPU, z270 Gigabyte gaming 3 mobo, 500w PSU EVGA ATX and this was in Windows 10, this is a new PC as I only got it a few days ago, they built it at the store and all that was left was update drivers and such.

Solution

A loose power connection is a problem. Vibration alone can cause the power...
If the system boot up, I would suggest clearing the CMOS. This will rest the system to the manufacturer default settings. The manual for your motherboard will have specific instructions on how to do this. Usually there will be a Clear CMOS button or jumper on the motherboard. Alternatively, you can remove the CMOS battery on the motherboard for 30 seconds or so (unplug the computer for 30 seconds or so to allow the capacitors to discharge before attempting).

May 7, 2018

Before trying anything (and indeed located the CMOS option in the manual) I must add that sometimes when the power button was pressed it did nothing, not even boot, and then sometimes it would boot, it just strikes me odd because it was working ok before I tried to install my GPU driver, I dare also say that it was the first driver I chose to install after my OS installed

If the system did nothing, then it may be as simple as a loose power supply cable or a defective power button on the case. Any time you move a PC, you have the possibility of something coming loose.

If you are going to do the repair, then check all of the power supply cables at both ends. Make sure that the SATA cables are connected on both ends. Make sure that the front panel connections are secure. I would reseat the RAM sticks and the graphics card. That pretty much takes care of anything that could come loose in transit to your home.

Removing the graphics card and using the motherboard video outputs sidesteps the graphics driver that you installed. It also allows you to uninstall those drivers and start over.

Also it isn't uncommon for the system to restart when updating the graphics driver (particularly if you updated the driver using the windows device manager). In the future download and install the Nvidia graphics driver from the geforce.com website. When you download the driver it will be in zip format, once you unzip the driver it will begin installing. Select custom install and select the clean install option.

May 7, 2018
I noticed the PSU cable is loose even if I try fit it in the best as I can, I also have another PSU cable of my old PC which is also somewhat loose just not as much, maybe it's the reason of my power failing? Although am not sure because it was working just fine then all of a sudden it came up with this issue?

I was trying to install nvidia drivers through manual searching the drivers in their site, got ahold the proper driver for my GPU, didn't let Windows update the drivers. It also didn't restart, it shut down. I'll try first removing the GPU just in case that might be the issue, if not then I assume its a PSU problem or the power button in the case.

A loose power connection is a problem. Vibration alone can cause the power to be interrupted. The power cord for the power supply is pretty much universal, but the internal power connectors on the PSU side are often proprietary (modular). Depending upon how loose it is you may need to replace the connector or power supply.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS